Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good luck, or bad luck?  (Read 2867 times)

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good luck, or bad luck?
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:56:18 pm »

So here I am, just booting up a new fort with orc mod. I fully expected to get raped in the first year, so I have to dig in as fast as possible.

I dig into the mountain. I set up hallways with sniper-points. I arrange for the farms, the workshops, even have a dining hall planned. I got it all planned out and I'm ready to rock. I unpause the game and start digging.

Three levels down, in my central staircase. "You've struck Adamantine! Praise the miners!"

God damnit.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good luck, or bad luck?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »

Now you'll have adamantine armor to meet your first Orc wave!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:10:33 pm »

HFS!HFS!HFS!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 08:12:16 pm »

Holy shit. Make a community fort.

GODDAM

Better yet, dig a tiny underground living space with a plump helmet farm and station a single guy in there, seal it, and open the HFS when the orcs show up. The last sealed dwarf will keep it so you can watch.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:14:03 pm »

Do what inaluct said. Get the adamantine, make adamantine furniture, put last dwar fin room with that , put walls at entrance, give him food, booze, yada yada....Then draft all dwarves. Win.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »

A community fort? I dunno about that... it'd be weird having other people touching my fort. But I can provide the seed and location if you want to try it out yourself.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:59:34 pm »

I meant the thing where you're like "HEY GUYS WATCH MY FORT" and everyone is like "DWARF MEEEEEE" and all that.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:29:02 pm »

Ahhh yes. And I get to make vague promises that I may or may not and when I finally do dwarf them they die during the next wave. Mmmhmm.

Edit: Nah... I tried writing a few logs, and it turns out that I suck at it. Like, alot. So... no. But here's the seed.

Seed: 3224924289
 History Seed: 2702258132
 Name Seed: 947257457

Just do a search for magma pipe, 'other features', no aquifer, river, chasm, and 4x4. (I refuse to give Photobucket my cell, name, and zip code - so live with it)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:50:27 pm by Hamster Man »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »

Those are the perfect goblin ball teams, just that there is no ball, just players killing each other.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 10:47:41 pm »

End of first year... no orcs. Hmm.

The caravan traders were being total d*cks ("Surely with all that..." when they're getting 500 profit) so I stripped all the steel gear off their guards and stole one of the anvils. Thus, my first two wrestlers get to start out with steel chainmail and shields.

I haven't dug any of the adamantine yet cause I wouldn't trust my miners to successfully dig out copper, much less super-rare adamantine.

Having a small problem with food though, since the sandy soil is at the edge of the map.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:55 pm »

... yay. I get a queen. And I haven't even dug out rooms yet.
At least the elves arrived, so I got some steal some more food. *sigh* How low, to steal from elves.

Almost summer, still no orcs. I'm starting to get worried.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »

... yay. I get a queen. And I haven't even dug out rooms yet.
At least the elves arrived, so I got some steal some more food. *sigh* How low, to steal from elves.

Almost summer, still no orcs. I'm starting to get worried.
An early second year adamant queen?

WTF, you are lucky, generally no one gets an Adamantine Monarch, but an Adamantine Monarch, that rules a hamlet ( 5-25 people ) , by Armok, you are more hardcore than Boatmurdered, and that the Felled ( Strange Mooded ) Goblin that conquered his own mother fort, alone, in the name of Armok!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:49:51 pm by Foa »

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:55:43 pm »

:-\  You have a strange definition of luck, dude.

Er, anyways, due to the Adamant deposits that I don't want to try digging out til I have some legendary miners, my place is a bit... disorganized. Found the magma vent too, and yep, its in the far far north corner, on the -other- side from the snippet of river.

Good news, I whipped up some quick forges and made a couple copper weapons, so I've now got two champion wrestlers (they get champion way too damn fast, really) sparring with copper swords. That'll hold the orcs off! Or I can throw my queen at them, and she can nag them to death.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:14:42 am »

:-\  You have a strange definition of luck, dude.

Er, anyways, due to the Adamant deposits that I don't want to try digging out til I have some legendary miners, my place is a bit... disorganized. Found the magma vent too, and yep, its in the far far north corner, on the -other- side from the snippet of river.

Good news, I whipped up some quick forges and made a couple copper weapons, so I've now got two champion wrestlers (they get champion way too damn fast, really) sparring with copper swords. That'll hold the orcs off! Or I can throw my queen at them, and she can nag them to death.
It is said that if you kill one Monarch, you never get another one, so do it.

And if you do it, you'll receive the yearly Dwarven Caravan again!

Oh, and have you seen all of the DF data sources, they all say that an Adamant Monarch is a hell of an achievement of  luck.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19:08 am »

Feed the monarch to the orcs.
Pages: [1] 2