Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Porting the World to next Version  (Read 1123 times)

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Porting the World to next Version
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:20:41 am »

Hi,

I do not know if this is the right Forum for this, but i have a question about the upcoming version. Since the last updates changed much on the games world, old worlds won't work proper in them.
My Question is, if i put a lot of emphasis in creating a new world and filling it with my own story, will i be able to port this world in the upcoming release AND be able to use the new features? I thought yes, as they are only gameplay changes and nothing about world parameters, but wanted to know for sure.

Thanks for the info,

I'm so looking forward on my lead-loaded-cart based, ongoing because parabolic, entrance-meat-grinder-trap.

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Porting the World to next Version
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 06:47:02 am »

You'll have to wait till the new version is out before anybody except Toady can say this for sure.

I'm sorry but why does everybody in this forum assume that there are more information about the new version than Toady states in dev log.

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 06:58:49 am »

With posting here, i thought to have at least a small chance of Toady reading this, or someone answering to me, who already annoyed him about this topic, OR someone telling me that i just have been to stupid to utfse and linking me to some other topic where this is already discussed.

But thanks for you answer. Looks like i simply have to wait for it,

Greets from sunny, blue skied munich.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:22:59 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady has already stated that the save will be compatible.  The only things the new version would expect would be the raws for the minecarts and in game representations of them, which he said he spent some time getting the game to recognize and work around.

So the answer is that it should work, but that's subject to change, of course.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:42:38 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady has already stated that the save will be compatible.

Here's a link.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:46 am »

So, basically it sounds like you might be able to port over and experience at least some of the new stuff.

In my opinion, however, i make it a point of never porting saves, and instead just starting anew in the new version, thus preventing any possible problems from an older save. It's up to you if you're attached to your current fort enough that you want to see it through as long as possible, even on the new version, but i'm just putting my take.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 09:02:57 am »

The save will be playable on newer versions, but if you want to play with minecarts in your ported saves, then you have to add minecarts to your raws. Since you can't add new item types to already-generated worlds, I suggest that you simply pick a tool raw that you normally don't use, and modify it to be usable as a minecart.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:14:23 am »

Unless the reason for migrating to the new version is to get a game-ruining bug sorted, I'd consider sticking with keeping an directory of the old version within which to run your old game, whether or not you also download and put into a new directory the newer version in order to play with whatever new 'toys' (in the forthcoming example, minecarts) are being rolled out in that.

I've previously (40d times) copied older saves into newer-versioned program areas, when it was largely safe to do so, but especially where the key new features are reliant upon (if not entirely consisting of) improvements to the Raw-files you're effectively neutering the new-version with your old-version saves.  Unless you know what you're doing in integrating the base raws of the new into the old (bearing in mind you'd have to tweak some unused functionality in an already-running world), and that could go wrong.

Given how much space the game (and its saves) takes up, I've ever really batted an eyelid at having multiple folders named "df_31_19", etc (i.e. the default main folder names one gets when extracting the .zips) in the same area, and even if (and I rarely do these days) I go to the trouble of putting a .lnk in some location (Programs menus, Quicklaunch area, Desktop, directly in My Documents, whatever), I'd usually qualify each with an equivalent name as well, so multiple version-links side-by-side wouldn't be a problem.

But, really, the most relevant part of my reply was in the first paragraph, you probably didn't need to read the rest, I suspect.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:53:40 am »

The save will be playable on newer versions, but if you want to play with minecarts in your ported saves, then you have to add minecarts to your raws. Since you can't add new item types to already-generated worlds, I suggest that you simply pick a tool raw that you normally don't use, and modify it to be usable as a minecart.

Actually, Toady has specifically added save compatibility for minecarts.

Quote from: From the Dev Log on 04/16/2012
I handled the save compat for minecarts -- it adds the necessary raw object and entity information to old saves now to allow you to make them. This was a little more involved than I thought it would be, and I ended up having to add the random item framework to easily insert the definition. There aren't going to be any randomly generated item types yet, and I didn't think the first one would be a save compat minecart, but the changes will smooth the way for such objects whenever we end up wanting them.
(Emphasis mine)

So if you wanted to fiddle around with minecarts, then you can import your old save. Still, like everyone else has said before, I would just gen a new world. Much more stable and easier that way.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »

But if it adds to the raws on update, then how does it handle modded raws? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 08:33:53 pm »

Well, since it'll be added in using the random item code, I'd imagine that the raws would be slotted into some special .txt file or something. No other RAWs should be touched.