Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's Play M&B: WB, Rigale mod. Craft, Gather, and Explore in Calradia!  (Read 23629 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Greetings B12 community!  I bring you this Let's Play as way of showcasing the Rigale Mod for Mount&Blade: Warband.  It's my favorite mod for Mount&Blade: Warband because you can make stuff!  I've actually contributed to a previous version in a minor way by suggesting the addition of leatherworking, and providing a list of items.

Link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,209.0.html

Mod Features:
Crafting!  Make your own equipment for profit and fun!

Gathering!  Hunt, fish, or farm for food, cut wood, mine for iron!

Exploration!  You know NOTHING about the map when you begin.  Sure, it makes things harder, but you get FREE experience for every village, town, and castle you visit.

Village specialties!  Some sell stuff cheap, some have tier 3 troops for hire (my personal favorite village specialty), and some buy your stuff at higher cost.

Guilds!  Learn all you need, provided you can pay for it.  And hire novice guild members to help out!  After all, why should you do all the heavy lifting?

Strategic Party Choices!  Ambushing, entrenching, rushing, sneaking, etc.

Exhaustion!  Your troops tire, and as they slow down as they tire.  You've got to rest up from time to time, especially at night.

Dysentery!  Have two types of food, or suffer the consequences!

Learn from doing!  As you do all the above, you get FREE experience, and you get better!

Outposts!  They can house excess soldiers, and you can outfit them with patrols to keep bandits away from your properties. Removed from current version.

Shamanism!  Beat on the spirits for extra perks!  Bear Warriors (one possible reward) are BEST warriors!

Inheritance!  What swag did your folks leave you?

Version 0.10 adds:

Knowledge!  Chose your own destiny!  What you learn will make you stronger, but you can't learn everything!

Settlements!  Build your own colony, nurture it, then exploit its gold income and conscript its best-and-brightest for your armies!  Knights!

Removed character start stuff, as we're on the third reboot.  I think we'll grab Bodyguards this time...

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Mount&Blade: Warband, Rigale mod!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 07:11:58 pm »

Yay! Lets get this started!
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »

Veteran Warrior, Page, Smith. Then take the secret smithing techniques and guild relations.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 09:19:24 pm »

Yay! Lets get this started!

Any suggestions on how to start?

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »

Veteran Warrior, Page, Smith. Then take the secret smithing techniques and guild relations.
This, and we start in Jelkala.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:51:45 pm »

One other question: Overall, should be aspire to be a goodly knight, or robber-baron?

This will determine whether we see looting as income source, whether we demand goods after helping peasants, and so forth.

Don't worry about money, we'll have enough even without looting.  Besides, creating one's weapons and armor is cheaper than buying it (although it will be a while before we can make any armor).

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays

Robber-Baron!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The beta for version 0.9 just came out.  Time to see what has been added...

New features found thus far:
Leatherworking has been added!  My precious feature is now part of the saga!
Neaderthals added!  I haven't fully explored this feature, but they should be able to teach shamanism, once I learn how to talk to them.
Epidemics added!  Weap as your precious town is closed down for a fortnight, but the player is by no means powerless!

The character generation is the same, so I can still begin a game with the submitted votes.  I'll probably start up shortly.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, let's begin.

Meet our hero:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our First Victory!

This is perfectly normal for this mod.  We only know where Jelkala is, so that is all we see.  If we move away, we probably won't even see Jelkala anymore.

Decision time!
Some merchant offered us some gold to free his brother.  Since he offered a cash retainer just to recruit some people (with the gold more than covering the recruitment cost of the men), I accepted that part.  But, that doesn't mean we ever need to return...
So, do we go along with the merchant, or do we take the money and run?

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays

Take the money for your own needs haha!

Silverbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mount & Blade WB, probably one of my favourite games.

Go along with the merchant, it's an easy starter quest. Just charge down bandits with a fairly long reach weapon if you need cash.
I'm also on the Giant in the Playground forum under the same username.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do the mission, while straight up cash is good, the experience is better.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This update will showcase some of the differences between Rigale and standard Warband.

As seen last time, I don't know where the villages are.  But if I re-enter the town, the connected villages will appear on the map.

Re-entering the town reveals a new feature: EPIDEMIC!

As you can see, I'm not very skilled at dealing with this sort of thing (see medic skill).

While I can't treat the epidemic with my lack of skill, I can still help out.  I choose to help bury the dead.

I'm getting abit of gold for my efforts, but the game reminds me that I need TWO food types in this mod, or dysentery will result.  So, I move on to a village to purchase a second food type, and hire some followers.

This village's specialty is perfect for our current situation.  Hungry, I gladly "purchase" the "low price" honey.  I put "purchase" and "low price" in quotes because in the current version, honey's low price is zero gold when purchased through a village specialty.  I expect that to be fixed in the next version.  I also hired two recruits. 

Now is probably a good time to discuss the veteran troops specialization.  Some villages offer veteran troops (tier three or so) for hire for 100 gold each.  I consider it quite a value in many cases, and tend to prioritize recruitment from those villages.  However, each faction only has one troop type available under this specialization.  And in Rhodok's case, they only offer the Veteran Spearman.  While a useful unit, it's not the best Rhodok can offer, so it's worthwhile to still get recruits from Rhodok and turn them into crossbowmen, and hopefully train them up to Sharpshooters.

And for laughs, Sarranid's "veteran unit" is "Sarranid veteran archers".  Needless to say, we will never desire to recruit Sarranid's "veteran" troops.  Other factions have their infantry as veteran units, so you'll certainly be happy with Nord Trained Footman, Vaeger Veteran Footman, and Swabian Footman.  And Khergit Horseman allows you to still choose which upgrade path.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the cheaters and curious, this mini-update will showcase how much you get with the Debug Feature:

Stats and skills beyond your wildest dreams:

Lots of top-tier troops;

Good equipment:

And the skill to craft better:

Now stop drooling, as we're not playing a Debug character.  Still, pretty sweat, yeah?

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And for laughs, Sarranid's "veteran unit" is "Sarranid veteran archers". 
That is just sad. I'd have expected Veteran Horsemen at least for Sarranid.
I swear, I must be the only one who likes that nation.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork
Pages: [1] 2 3 4