Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games like KoDP  (Read 7060 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Games like KoDP
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 02:33:43 pm »

Damn those choose your own adventure games are damn addictive I nearl got bollocked at work for playing it :P damn my open office !

Anyways any more of this type of game ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 03:17:59 pm »

Damn those choose your own adventure games are damn addictive I nearl got bollocked at work for playing it :P damn my open office !

Anyways any more of this type of game ?

More like Chose your own adventure games?

Laura Bow Colonal's Bequest

It is a point and click, it is cripplingly difficult, but it does follow the "Death is constant" rules so be careful. It also one of the deepest point and clicks ever created to the point where someone REALLY should remake it (The goal is to get the highest score)

Chose your own vibe because you actually have to do everything. The game doesn't hand hold anything.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 03:49:55 pm »

This.Its Corruption of Champions without the *stuff*.Its actually qute good.
http://blog.anamnesis.co/

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:10 pm »

I think you might also be interested in the games on www.choiceofgames.com. Those are all the ''Choose your own adventure'' type of games on the pc and most of them are for free as well :) They're also available on handhelds but they're pretty pricey (2.49 in your currency or something.).

Wow I approve of this site, thanks for sharing it. I went through the first part of the Choice of Romance series. First as a normal romance story (my guilty pleasure) but then I decided to see how far they would take it, what proceeded was me having a blast basically roleplaying a Cersei-like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Will be damned interesting to see where I can take it in part 2. Whoever made this put a lot more effort into it than usual CYOA-games I have found on the net.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

Well you should give Choice of the vampire a shot as well. It's my favorite by far! :)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »

I have often wondered at the lack of any spiritual successor to KoDP, enough so that in the past I toyed with the idea of trying to make one, being more of an artist and writer than a programmer. Never did it of course.

Then recently I got the idea of making a game based upon the player interacting with NPCs that had complex personalities, something maybe like a political simulation or maybe having more to do with the intrigue around a royal court. The whole thing would be text based, graphics if done at all would be for flavor only.

I searched for the best engine for this type of thing a d came up with the best candidate: Ren'Py. Upon closer inspection, creating a game similar to KoDP with Ren'Py would be quite simple in terms of coding. The significant work would be the writing, art and of course the logic behind the branching nature of events. There is even a dating sm framework for ren'py that looks like it would be easy to convert into the personality and event handling for the game.

Most, if not all of the game could be handled with Ren'Py and for anything else it has full access to python and pygame.

Dwarf Fortress spinoff anyone using story events written/drawn by forum members?  I would scream with glee if that happened.
I got nothing

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »

I have often wondered at the lack of any spiritual successor to KoDP, enough so that in the past I toyed with the idea of trying to make one, being more of an artist and writer than a programmer. Never did it of course.

Then recently I got the idea of making a game based upon the player interacting with NPCs that had complex personalities, something maybe like a political simulation or maybe having more to do with the intrigue around a royal court. The whole thing would be text based, graphics if done at all would be for flavor only.

I searched for the best engine for this type of thing a d came up with the best candidate: Ren'Py. Upon closer inspection, creating a game similar to KoDP with Ren'Py would be quite simple in terms of coding. The significant work would be the writing, art and of course the logic behind the branching nature of events. There is even a dating sm framework for ren'py that looks like it would be easy to convert into the personality and event handling for the game.

Most, if not all of the game could be handled with Ren'Py and for anything else it has full access to python and pygame.

Dwarf Fortress spinoff anyone using story events written/drawn by forum members?  I would scream with glee if that happened.

Do it.
DO IT NOW.
No seriously people would flood you with stories.
And just like in KoDP there would be no good answers because every option would lead to PAIN.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2]