Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New game service VOID  (Read 7697 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: New game service VOID
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:43 pm »

Did anyone catch the irony in saying that your service is void?

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »

I'm surprised by how irrationally angry people get at the mere idea of watching one minute of ads. It's not really a big deal - you could even walk away for a minute while it plays through.

When something new happens, and it includes non game content this forum pretty much turns into the Spanish Inquisition.
It's not half bad, I actually like the game selection and the ads don't take all that long.
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 03:41:26 pm »

Did anyone catch the irony in saying that your service is void?
That, is funny.

I might want to check out this service once I'm a little more settled in regards to my real-life circumstances. Sure, now that the college kids are out of the area for the time being I get download speeds of around 300KBs and higher, but I'm kind of cautious when it comes to doing anything new with my precious.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »

So it can be linked to your gamers gate stuff.  I tried getting Jagged Alliance 2 from it but it fails to give a dl link.  I think it is bugged for now.  But there are a few games worth checking it out for.  Old Europa Universalis, crusader kings, Jagged Alliance 2, etc.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:19 pm »

I didn't expect them to have such a decent selection at launch. There are a lot of ... less-than-great games there, but a few classics are in the mix. Going to give it a try.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 09:07:16 pm »

I for one think this is pretty awesome. There are a couple games on here that I've been eying for a while but haven't deemed worth spending money on and thus abandoned any hope of ever playing. Now I can play them for free. It didn't even take any time to sign up, just had to click the "activate VOID" button on my GamersGate account and that was it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2012, 09:28:55 pm »

I'm surprised by how irrationally angry people get at the mere idea of watching one minute of ads. It's not really a big deal - you could even walk away for a minute while it plays through.

Generally (and especially in the games industry) the publishers like to throw ads in with no benefit for the customer. The idea should be something like this services model, where the customer watches ads in exchange for something... Unfortunatly companies prefer to just get paid for the ads, and get paid full price for the product too. Also they're generally pretty terrible or obtrusive And since it's kinda hard to go through a single day without being bombarded with adverts for the duration people tend to get a bit annoyed about them.

I think people are just inherantly distrustfull of the concept due to previous attempts to do something like this being terrible cash-ins at the expense of the customer. Though it's good to see someone finally doing it properly.

As an aside, whenever anyone mentions just not watching the ads, I'm always reminded of that TV executive guy who testified before some government commitie about how VHS would kill the TV industry because it would let people not watch adverts, which he claimed was stealing. Always makes me chuckle wondering how he coped with the rise of the internet download culture.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 05:25:38 am »

It didn't.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:48:42 am by Dariush »

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 06:16:48 am »

Small note of warning -- and this may be an oversight -- but it's possible to add games into your Void slot that are not available in your region (apparently). I added Konung 2, but the download link wouldn't appear, only a Buy link. I clicked the Buy link and was told the game wasn't available in my region, so I'm guessing that's why I can't download it.

There is a "Newbie protection" function that lets you clear out your Void slot once without having to wait for the cooldown, though.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:12 am »

Not available around here yet, but it says its going to be. I'll keep eye on it.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 2 [3]