Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting things about misters  (Read 872 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Interesting things about misters
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:53:13 am »

Did you know that this is a viable mister combo?

hh spsp hh
sp         sp
sp         sp*
hh spsp hh sp sp hh
          * sp          sp
            sp          sp
            hh sp sp hh

hh = channel
sp = half a screw pump.
* = gear assembly (the regular setup for powering the mister changes. The key is to isolate one pump in each ring. Several ways to do this.)

This setup is cool not because it describes a figure eight when operating (what I was originally going for), it doesn't, but because you can set it up to switch from one ring of misters to the next upon command, by isolating the power to one of the pumps in each ring, so that you can switch that individual pump on and off. (its always one of the four central pumps, which one depends upon how you set it up)

So, for example you can have water or magma spinning and pretty much instantly switch from an open pathway to one that has a mister operating over it.  Useful for fortress defense.

So then this mister setup is also viable.

hh spsp hhhh spsp hh
sp         spsp         sp
sp         spsp         sp
hh spsp hhhh spsp hh

The two rings spin water/magma independantly of each other.  The pumps take the fluid too quickly for it to disperse into the adjacent central channels.

This is kinda cool because (using the first setup I detailed) you can create a two tile wide hallway into your fortress that switches from a water mister to a magma mister.

I haven't tried this part yet (no magma easily available at my embark site... yet) , but if you put a two tile bridge full of water over one of the double channels  and drop the water while the misters are spinning magma, I'd expect it to instantly create a two tile wide wall across the entrance of your fort, hopefully sealing it off completely.   

I also haven't tested what happens when you push magma into a mister that is spinning water.  That could be cool.

Sorry if this stuff has already been covered.  I did a cursory search and didn't see any of this mentioned in the popular mister topics on this board, (I didn't read through them all completely that's the cursory part :))

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:01:44 am by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting things about misters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »

If you use ['code]['/code] tags (without the ' of course) then your diagrams will be easier to make and read because all of the tiles have the same horizontal width.

And while I have used designs similar to these before (they are basically just small modifications of the one listed on the Mist wiki page), I had not considered being able to use them for fortress defense as well as mist. (Though I guess that would require me to drop them so that the liquid they were moving was on the floor level instead of being on higher to avoid interrupts from sudden drowning as the water is dropped on top of dwarves.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.