Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Idea! Idea! Idea! Castes? Idea!  (Read 2996 times)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Idea! Idea! Idea! Castes? Idea!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:44:48 pm »

Oh yeah, I consider all the Draconians to be different breeds of one race. Just some get different abilities than others. One's average, barely bigger than a human. One's the same size, but has wings. One's bigger, stronger, and slower.....

Right, I'm just making sure you understand that they will all interbreed. And a winged draconian couple is not necessarily going to have a winged baby. They could have one of the slow, strong babies or one of the rare *** ones, and if you're okay with that, great. :)

Also, I noticed in another thread you were thinking of making a civilization with multiple *creatures* involved? Species will also interbreed and have random baby type regardless of parent type. So, if I were to add minotaur to my centaur race, centaur and minotaur could mate with either, and end up with either baby type. So two minotaur could end up with a centaur baby, and I don't think there's really any way around that, correct me if I'm wrong?

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 11:56:30 pm »

I don't think there's any way around that. All my threads involving castes and stuff are basically leading up to a dominant civilization, the Draconians, who are meant to take the best of each civilization, make them better, and add two little touches of their own.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 12:16:42 pm »

Umm... I got the race working fine, except for three things:
A) They wage war with, and nearly instantaneously wipe out, the dwarves, often. 4/5 times they slaughter the dwarves, and I gain dwarf meats in the embark screen. Is there any way to keep them a-moral without them killing off the dwarves? The only thing they really don't find a personal problem or acceptable is theft, assault, and treason is just the worst thing possible. Torture for fun, eating sentient beings, murder, all that stuff is acceptable.
B) In adventure mode, every last one of them are wrestlers. How do I get them to start using swords, pikes, hammers, and bows?
C) How can I get the individual caste name to show up, IE "Draconian Rogue" instead of "Draconian"? I've already defined [CASTE_NAME: draconian rogue, draconian rogues, draconian rogue] but it still shows up "Draconian". I'd really like a way to define them without lots of observation in both fortress and adventure mode, because I'd rather not use a companion spot on a normal one compared to say a fire breathing warrior.
Thanks!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 06:38:09 pm »

C) How can I get the individual caste name to show up, IE "Draconian Rogue" instead of "Draconian"? I've already defined [CASTE_NAME: draconian rogue, draconian rogues, draconian rogue] but it still shows up "Draconian".
Thanks!

You didn't really use commas, did you? semicolons:

[CASTE:DRUID_MALE]
      [CASTE_NAME:druid:druids:druidic]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:45:02 pm by smakemupagus »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »

No, I used commas. I copied that from the caste section of the creatures RAW.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 06:42:49 pm »

Oh, OK.  Well, it's semicolons :)

sorry!! i mean colons.  i fail at english
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:44:50 pm by smakemupagus »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 06:45:39 pm »

Oh. Thanks!

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 09:55:04 am »

A) They wage war with, and nearly instantaneously wipe out, the dwarves, often. 4/5 times they slaughter the dwarves, and I gain dwarf meats in the embark screen. Is there any way to keep them a-moral without them killing off the dwarves? The only thing they really don't find a personal problem or acceptable is theft, assault, and treason is just the worst thing possible. Torture for fun, eating sentient beings, murder, all that stuff is acceptable.
Relations between civs are mostly based on ethics, and since your race's ethics are so different from the dwarves', they will hate eachother.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 08:02:56 pm »

Relations between civs are mostly based on ethics, and since your race's ethics are so different from the dwarves', they will hate eachother.

Another factor in whether they kill off all the dwarves is relative populations, as they need people for bigger armies. Assuming they are significantly more powerful than dwarves lowering their [LITTERSIZE:X:X](if applicable), making their females weak/die sooner(lower old age), or making the females/males less likely to be interested in hanky panky that could make babies (ORIENTATION defaults to 5:20:75 for opposite sex and 75:20:5 for same) could all make their wars less one sided.
This could cause them to die out or have population explosions when taken to extremes.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »

Oh thanks! I think they may have higher general populations than dwarves. For every 100 normal, genderless ones, there's 60 of the fliers, who are female, and 20 of the poison ones, who are also female. 100 genderless, 8 male and female. But every female lays 2-4 eggs. I may lower this, because they're stronger by nature, so 1-2 eggs should be fine. Thanks for the orientation tag explanation! I'll implement it so they're a bit less lovey dovey, and with less children. Then they probably wont turn dwarves into a meat industry. According to legends, it's a mixture of goblins, megabeasts, and draconians killing dwarves off in about 50 years.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 05:36:05 am »

Well, with just a change to ethics, but keeping everything else the same, everyone loves the draconians, even the goblins. In fact, in adventure mode, Draconian cities cover huge plots of desert, which is where they're set to be. This makes them sometimes dangerous to go to, but almost always are stocked full of great shops. Each civilian is a lot stronger than your normal human civilian, some of them able to paralize you from a distance, so pissing them off is a terrible idea! !!ALWAYS FUN!! My fliers get stuck in trees sometimes, but this can be fixed by chopping the tree down. It takes a few seconds, but they'll get a new job and fly down. If I'm not mistaken, channeling a 1X1 shaft from a stockpile to the surface lets the fliers go from the stockpile to the surface. This could be incredibly useful, if it has a roof a few Z levels above it. If it works. Be nice to the Draconians, and they wont cut your arms off, bite your leg off, burn you to death, while simultaneously shoving a stinger in your back.
Pages: 1 [2]