Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Battle Arena: a versus "multiplayer" battle game.  (Read 2740 times)

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
  • Cries when friends don't like DF
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Battle Arena: a versus "multiplayer" battle game.
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:57:56 am »

Recently I had an idea for a kind of "multiplayer" (if that's what you would call it) battle mode involving each player building a team using points. The objective is to kill the other teams helpless unit and be the last team with their unit alive, I was thinking a cod placed in shallow water for the unit and it seems to work quit well for the purpose, but if you have better ideas I'm happy to hear them.

Unit Points WIP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Turns
Item Point WIP
Skills

This needs a lot of work and I'm hoping for some help and feed back from my fellow dorfs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:04:29 pm by toboo123 »

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Battle Arena: a versus "multiplayer" battle game.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:11:22 am »

Why not have people "buy" soldiers of either three races humans/dwarfs/elfs for 10-30 points each or some higher number depending on how much points you're giving, the spend whatever is left of the points on upgrading the skills and buying equipment.
Also maybe if you upgrade your soldiers sworddwarf skill to 9 then each dwarfs you have will have sworddwarf skill level 9 so people won't have to designate how many skills for each soldier because that would take so much time.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »

Why not have people "buy" soldiers of either three races humans/dwarfs/elfs for 10-30 points each or some higher number depending on how much points you're giving, the spend whatever is left of the points on upgrading the skills and buying equipment.
Also maybe if you upgrade your soldiers sworddwarf skill to 9 then each dwarfs you have will have sworddwarf skill level 9 so people won't have to designate how many skills for each soldier because that would take so much time.
The buying units thing is what I had in mind, but I want the Dwarf Fortress ridiculousness their, you should be able to buy dragons,sharks or an army of cats if you wanted.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:44:43 pm »

Could probably use some function of the creature's PETVALUE token for non-sentient creatures... and maybe even sentient ones, if it exists. Dunno if playable races have it offhand, let me check....

pseudo-edit: Most animalmen, as well as the Major Races, and stuff like orcs and dark gnomes don't have a pet_value token, but for anything tameable, some function of petvalue is a quick and easy way to determine points.

Offhand, Cats are PET_VALUE 20 and cost 11 points on embark, Dogs are 16 points for pet_value 30. I suppose one could extrapolate upwards from that and determine whatever y = mx + b and do stuff from there.

Alternatively, you could do something else. I suppose.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:47:15 pm »

Could probably use some function of the creature's PETVALUE token for non-sentient creatures... and maybe even sentient ones, if it exists. Dunno if playable races have it offhand, let me check....

pseudo-edit: Most animalmen, as well as the Major Races, and stuff like orcs and dark gnomes don't have a pet_value token, but for anything tameable, some function of petvalue is a quick and easy way to determine points.

Offhand, Cats are PET_VALUE 20 and cost 11 points on embark, Dogs are 16 points for pet_value 30. I suppose one could extrapolate upwards from that and determine whatever y = mx + b and do stuff from there.

Alternatively, you could do something else. I suppose.
problem with that is that the cost have factors like rarity and economical usefulness, not solely combat proficiency, maybe we could determine a point value for one unit and see how many of that unit it takes to beat another, then determine the point value by multiplying the cost of that one unit, plus factoring in other things, like being solely aquatic or if it can use weapons.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:16:02 pm »

I've some things along the lines of points, It's extremely basic but any input helps.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:30 pm »

If I may suggest... size of the creature is the base Point cost.  Fancy things like canskill, canfireballurface and omgfireeverywhere each adds additional points. 
And yes, those who refuse to take part in the fun of fire should get a nice penalty.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »

If I may suggest... size of the creature is the base Point cost.  Fancy things like canskill, canfireballurface and omgfireeverywhere each adds additional points. 
And yes, those who refuse to take part in the fun of fire should get a nice penalty.

Hmmm, you may be onto something, it seems that size determines a lot of things in combat, we'd also have to factor in things like a creature having higher agility, toughness, and strength, plus canfireballurface and such.

EDIT: but than again a Giant is 9,000,000 in size while a dwarf is 60,000 in size, which means 100 dwarves would be worth less than 1 giant, and 100 dwarves can easily beat one giant
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:30:58 pm by toboo123 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:13:26 pm »

100 unarmed and unskilled dwarves?  Well... I havn't tried that out, but you could limit the numbers by needing points to get more... like:

Each extra unit adds = +(1*X)  X = Number of units (First unit is 'free' in this case)
2 Units = +2
3 Units = +5
4 Units = +9

Something like that anyways...  and yea, you can factor in higher physical stats if you like.  Might not be really necessary, but if you think so, go ahead.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »

What about separate points for buying units and upgrading them? With this system, you can have one legendary dorf in adamantite set or 9001 cats... Cats would win by just flooding enemies. I think the good "soldier points" cap is about 15 dwarves, so you can have 1 dragon and one dwarf/some pets or 60 dogs.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:23:41 pm »

What about separate points for buying units and upgrading them? With this system, you can have one legendary dorf in adamantite set or 9001 cats... Cats would win by just flooding enemies. I think the good "soldier points" cap is about 15 dwarves, so you can have 1 dragon and one dwarf/some pets or 60 dogs.
so you would have to spend half your points on units, and another half on equipment and skills or maybe instead have a cap on how many units you can have in relationship to how many points you have, something like for every 50 points you can have 1 unit, so an 1000 point battle would have a cap of 20 units.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:47 pm »

100 unarmed and unskilled dwarves?  Well... I havn't tried that out, but you could limit the numbers by needing points to get more... like:

Each extra unit adds = +(1*X)  X = Number of units (First unit is 'free' in this case)
2 Units = +2
3 Units = +5
4 Units = +9

Something like that anyways...  and yea, you can factor in higher physical stats if you like.  Might not be really necessary, but if you think so, go ahead.
I may just continue my method of putting them in controlled combat environments, to determine around how many of one unit can beat another, I tested 1 Dwarf v 1 Human and the Dwarves won, not by an overwhelming margin, but enough to consider them more competent in a fight, but their size would suggest the opposite.

toboo123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:40 pm »

Some quick thoughts on skills:
 when it comes to skills I'm torn between skills gaining at a regular point values(5 for first level 6 for the next etc.) or instead of points it adds on 5% of the base point cost then 6% and so on.