Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kaiju-a-Gogo: be evil scientist, have monster pet, stomp city. needs founding.  (Read 2555 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Copying only because it's too annoying to enter a thread that introduces something, except it doesn't tell you anything. I haven't read any of this yet.

Monsters! Mad Scientists! Mayhem! Crush, crumble and chomp your way to world domination, one city at a time.

They called you MAD in university!

They stole your LUNCH MONEY in grade school!

It's time to build your SECRET LABORATORY and PLOT REVENGE!

Nothing less than COMPLETE WORLD DOMINATION will satisfy you now. Your magnificent monster is READY TO RUMBLE! It's time to make the world DANCE TO YOUR TUNE!

Kaiju-a-gogo is a strategy-action, PC/mobile video-game featuring GIANT MONSTERS. The player takes on the role of a fledgling Mad Scientist who has built the first human-controlled Kaiju in the world. While your rivals race to catch up with your genius and build their own Kaiju to compete with you, you have a five-year-window to use your Kaiju to achieve TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION.

Start the game by choosing one of three monsters and its associated Mad Scientist character. You will then begin play at your Secret Lair, an uncharted island, and launch your first attacks upon the unsuspecting world. As you crush city after city with your magnificent creation, the resistance of the people in that region will weaken, until eventually they bow to the inevitable and admit that you're in charge. When you have conquered all of the regions on the globe, you win! You are the world's Supreme Dictator and Number One Monkey. Simple as that.

Gameplay consists of glorious city-stomping fun, with points and resources gained by smashing every structure still standing and crushing all the armies, navies, police and giant robots that try to stop you. In between attacks, your Kaiju will return to your Secret Lair, and you will allow the monster to rest while you heal and train it with new Abilities.

As your Kaiju grows in size and power, its new Abilities will make it better, stronger, faster and more terrifying than ever before. Each Kaiju in the game will have dozens of possible Abilities, with players able to explore a different set of abilities in each game.

During the brief windows of rest and reflection between one city attack and the next, players will also have the chance to build up their Base, and construct facilities that will speed their victory over the planet.You might also want to build some defenses, however, in case the Kaiju Defense Forces figure out where you are, and come gunning for you!

Feature List:

* Conquer the world with your very own 100-foot monster at your command!
    * Choose one of 3 monster types to grow and teach, each with over 90 unique powers and attacks!
    * Crush crumble and stomp over 50 real world cities!
    * Battle over 30 different enemies in awesome real time battles across the globe!
    * Build up your very own Secret Lair with dozens of deadly devices and devious defenses!
    * Available on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android platforms!
    * Share your own content with built-in Steam Workshop compatibility!

Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:30:36 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Nice OP New Guy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I realized I prefer the shameless self-promoting forum threads than forum threads hyperlinking to another site to do the explanation. That's why I copied it here.

This sounds vaguely interesting, but I think it has a really high chance of not leaving concept phase properly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I realized I prefer the shameless self-promoting forum threads than forum threads hyperlinking to another site to do the explanation. That's why I copied it here.

This sounds vaguely interesting, but I think it has a really high chance of not leaving concept phase properly.

It seems like a rather simple game.

Heck 90-100 powers and attacks is more then possible if you make sure they are things like +5 health and add a few speed bumps.

The heart of the gameplay that I can see is whether or not it can do the strategic (or action... but the screens make it look turn based) combat against cities.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Now that I think about it, it does have Steam Workshop capability. Let's hope it's flexible enough for serious modding overhauls.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It's basically King of the Monsters mashed into Rampage, with "RPG" features, and base building. (Quoted since I know it's a loaded term for a lot of people.)

Which, personally, I'm ok with. I loved KotM and Rampage. However, my interest immediately plummeted when I saw it's focused on three monsters with huge skill trees rather than a variety of different monsters and a stronger sandbox vibe. Also, no actual gameplay footage. And they want it out by Thanksgiving of this year?

But those aside, it sounds like it can be fun. He mentions X-COM which I think isn't really a valid comparison other than whatever base building they'll include (they mention base invasions, building defenses ect....so I guess base building isn't just a simple "spend tokens on upgrades and see some visuals.)

I haven't played Sword of the Stars or any of their other games. But they seem to have a pretty solid track record with games of this scope. They've already successfully crowd-funded and published two other games, and the game will be on EA on Steam as soon as it can be be. It will probably succeed enough just on Kerberos' own fan base to get to Steam. So while I'm not super wild about it, I may just kick $15 bucks in as a surprise for myself come (probably) January 2015.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think this is highly unlikely. the studio crowdsourced two games already. both did not meet the founding goal, but got made none the less, are sucessfull and get expansions.

However, my interest immediately plummeted when I saw it's focused on three monsters with huge skill trees rather than a variety of different monsters and a stronger sandbox vibe.[/quote
entirely possible its not the city stomper monster game you had made, but then, it still can become a very fun city stomper monster game.

Also, no actual gameplay footage. And they want it out by Thanksgiving of this year?
untill now, they alway have delivered. but then, deadlines are a bitch.