Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcement titan  (Read 2317 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcement titan
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:06:06 pm »

I just got an announcement announcing the arrival of a titan composed of announcement.

Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement titan
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:09:42 pm »

Lol, what the heck? Some kind of reaction material?

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 02:29:25 pm »

Man, you seriously got some jacked up version of 3i. I'd just redownload at this point xD

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »

It gets weirder.

It arrived with some of its body melted:

Then it died on the way to the fortress. Presumably it melted along the way? Although it's winter...

It only left a body part instead of a corpse, which is called announcement:

Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »

I've heard about titans made out of reaction materials in Masterwork which explode/melt/die on entering your embark, so it's probably that. However, a reaction material called announcement? Might have to ask meph about that one and I don't know anything about the masterwork mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

I have to use custom inorganics to trigger autosyndrome. I have literally thousands of them. They are not used for anything but the scripts, but when FBs or Titans are created, they take a random material from the raws.

Nothing I can do about it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »

yeah FB/Titans and i think also Demons as well (not sure though) are hardcoded to use any material in the raws even custom ones that are used for like the above so this is something that can't be avoided but if you get ones like these then be happy you don't need to fight them.

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:05:53 pm »

I suppose the announcements have to be made so they boil away, but with so many of them, it really does give a very large chance of FB being made of quite useless things.

The number of announcements could probably be reduced. While the Archaeologist certainly needs to tell me when he's found something, I'm not sure finishing a bedroom set at the furniture workshop really needs an announcement.

With a reduced number of announcements, perhaps something else could be done with them that does not require their material to sublimate. Could they be renamed as some sort of waste product, similar to sawdust?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:31:55 pm »

I'd have to check, but maybe I can play around with SOLID and GAS names. Because the reactions create the GAS, so I name it "GAS:Announcement Blablabla", but the FB is made of the solid material, so I can name it "SOLID:Unkown Metal Blabla", which would sound better.

But with all the inorganics I do have, this is quite the task, for a very small reward. Adding a file with 10,000 entries of "Unkown Metal", which is iron-grade, would be a lot easier. That way FBs and Titans appear with good armor more often, and the amount of weirdly named ones goes down as well. No idea what kind of impact this has on the rest of the game though.. maybe slower load/save times.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::