Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A penal colony succession game - NEED WARDENS  (Read 2226 times)

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
  • Forts lost: A lot
    • View Profile
Re: A penal colony succession game - NEED CRIMINAL SCUM(planning phase)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »

I am curious to see how you implement the gaurds v prisoners, in game mechanic sense.  The best i can think of is labor controls.  You coul try to build lots of jails and never complete mandates, to spurn dwarf on dwarf violence.  But outside that I'm not really sure how to recreate the psychological side of the Stanford event.

On a random note I had a professor that was part of an experiment to see how mental patients were treated.  He lived in an institution for 3 months.  Oddly, he said mental patients and staff were often nicer than people in the real world are.
Everything is still under consideration, but yeah, labor controls and barrows. I would keep them sealed tight with only contact being food and booze delivery. Mandates could be kept, mostly because all of the key positions will be held by the guards. It would be interesting if prisoners were allowed to craft artifacts... All that suffering and pain being able to express itself.

The Stanford event wasn't only about the prisoners, but the guards. Since there is no real point in studying a computer program... the real test subject is the player. You have bunch of useless dwarfs that are completely expendable. Every warden is free to do as they wish, this is their power... even thought their job is to JUST keep it running.

But I could have just over exaggerated with the Stanford comparison. Or I could be a sick puppy.
Ah, RL. The only true slayer of fortresses.
A vile force of Reality has arrived!

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

Dorf me. Male cook, if possible. If not, that's okay.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 12:04:18 pm »

Is this because Steelhold stopped updated?
Nay, I didn't even know the tread existed til now. It seems I forgot to put capital "P" on penal when I was searching for existing games. Ohh well. The game is still on if interest is high enough.

I'll sign up. It was supposed to be my turn on Steelhold and then people stopped updating  :'(

I've never been in a succession game before, so it made me kind of mad when they did stop updating >:(
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 05:08:05 pm »

I'm still stick in exam period. But it should be over in Saturday, leaving me the weekend to start up the game and have it posted on Monday. In the meanwhile, feel free to ask for a turn and add suggestion. I've decided for it to be a strict-like RP succession game with you being a prison warden, a guard/staff or a prisoner watching shit happen from the receiving end and posting as such.

As the Warden, survival and normal functioning of your prison is your main goal. This means preventing tantrum spirals and keeping the prisoner scum inside the holding area. The latter could be considered a turn fail condition. Keeping your man alive and mentally stable 2nd, keeping your prisoners alive 3rd.

Medium/high gameplay restrictions will be made to make sure that overseers don't turn the fort into a mountain paradise. That would be unfitting for a death camp maximum security prison. This is still to be specified so place suggestions people... I don't want whining when you get your turn and aren't allowed to make a magmaduct or a giant statue of a potato.

All of this will happen only if my newly discovered obsession with SS13 prevail this weekend.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 07:28:26 pm »

I'll take the job of the, ah... "doctor".

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A penal colony succession game - NEED WARDENS
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 09:36:01 am »

I'll get the fortress up and running this weekend. 4maskwolf, expect your turn to start in Monday or Tuesday.

Do you guys agree with the rules?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: A penal colony succession game - NEED WARDENS
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 10:06:18 am »

LET'S DO HIS THING!
Pages: 1 [2]