Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Sewer Workers?  (Read 802 times)

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Sewer Workers?
« on: November 20, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

Well, I've finally got the beginning of a fun hydraulic network.  Long input pipes from a cave river, a big cistern to store water close by the gate, a pump stack to pump water all the way from the the z-11 bottom of the cistern to as far as the surface, if necessary.  A moat around my surface fort, and a second moat beyond that.  A working well, a functioning emergency-drainage-catchpit/mudproof-doormat at the entrance.

Things are good.

So after a system test  of a new side pipe, I open the gate at the top of my cistern to refill from the river.  I return a little while later to see how it's going, and flow has slowed to a trickle.  Tracing the pipe back toward the river, I see this:

Hmm.  A blockage?  I can't *see* anything.  But it's stable.

Turns out there's a towercap in the pipe.  And it's not alone... there are half a dozen young ones there, too.  Now this pipe has spent the last year full to the brim behind a floodgate, and only lost any water depth at all in the preceding few days when I opened the gate to the cistern.

Now, I understand that towercaps grow in mud layers on rock.  I even encourage that behavior in the lower levels of my fort.  But it's problematic from a gameplay perspective to have fully flooded tunnels, or tunnels with fast-flowing water, allow towercaps to survive.  Maybe they could be drowned, eventually?

Anyway, back to my fort.  Where Reg Tetothlibash, Peasant, is about to be given his first (and last) +Tin battleaxe+ and enabled as a Woodcutter.  Bet he never makes Novice...

DL

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Sewer Workers?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:09:00 am »

I think smoothed rock doesnt allow towercaps to grow-at least this I what used to do in the old game to keep them from growing in my hallways. It might be worth it to try, but I can never find a cave in my world.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:57:00 am »

Yes, always smooth or refloor if you want to use a tunnel as a pipe. Walls can be left raw.

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

Ahhh.  Good advice, then.  But boy, is Reg Tetothlibash going to unhappy with his next job  :)

DL

Aeloi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aeloi
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

do you have this map uploaded to the archive or anything?  I'd like to see your system.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:13:00 am »

So any alligators in the sewer yet?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.