Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WEBCAIN (Igynpadca MOBA returns)  (Read 884 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
WEBCAIN (Igynpadca MOBA returns)
« on: January 24, 2015, 12:26:09 pm »

It's been a really long while since the last time anybody heard from TGD (Typical Game Developer) about the future of their top-down ASCII MOBA, which was a big hit just a few months ago, but the servers have since then been shut down with no real response from the devs. A lot of people got really furious about it, and probably for good reason.

All of sudden, two weeks ago, Azarus, one of the main developers, made this thread on the Elltycopiae forums. (which were just filled with unmoderated flame wars...not a good sight, I'm telling you.)
Apparently Elltycopiae has been re-written, re-designed and renamed to WEBCAIN - Why Even Bother Caring About It Now.

Important bits of info from the thread:
Quote from: Azarus
We have been running closed beta tests ever since September last year [...] We're fairly satisfied with the game's current state and will be opening it up to a larger audience at the end of the month.

[...]

With WEBCAIN, we've been trying to bring back some of the most interesting ideas we all know and love from the original game, combined with new and fresh concepts that really make the whole thing feel unique and fun.

[...]

Old players might not be used to the comparatively low roster of heroes, items etc. at the start, but just as we were providing content to the old game for months and months, we want to bring new ways and options to play WEBCAIN years after release.

[...]

To us, WEBCAIN is everything that made Elltycopiae so enjoyable and great and we hope that everyone understands that making a new game was a better choice for us than trying to strip the old game of its issues which was just too difficult for us.

[...]

So far, WEBCAIN has a roster of over 50 unique heroes, with many more on the way, some of which you might recognize, others that were planned for the first game but never made it in, and some that are brand new. We tried to make sure that with our current roster we can cover as many playstyles as is possible, and the item and map selection should also reflect that.

[...]

Once again, thank you for your patience. We've been reading the forums up to this point, we've seen what the players did like and didn't like in the original game and we want to never make the same mistakes again. The entire team apologizes that we had to sit in silence for so long, but we think that the wait has definitely been worth it and we hope that you will feel the same when you all play WEBCAIN in late January.

So far it sounds good and the open beta should be starting really soon, at least according to their words. I liked Elltycopiae but it had its issues (matchmaking in particular was a bit of a bitch, alongside the horrible balance...ugh.), but I don't know what to expect from Webcain just yet.
Anyone else waiting for this? Veterans, new players?

Spoiler: Messy OOC (click to show/hide)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: WEBCAIN (Igynpadca MOBA returns)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »

Ah, man, I've been playing this game for a few days. Arrow Cleaner w/ Sunsmasher is sooo OP though. I mean, two multishotted neutron star tipped arrows is bad enough, but with POLISH?! Ohhhh man. You're so dead.
I do like the random item drop system, though. And did you know that you can actually set up custom play servers with specialized sets of rules? It's buried under about twenty menus, but still. I found one where a random item dropped on each creep kill. So laggy and unbalanced, but so much fun too.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:40:00 pm »

Aw, man, they're redoing IGYNPADCA? Anyone have a suggestion for what I should start as?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:40:04 pm »

Aw, man, they're redoing IGYNPADCA? Anyone have a suggestion for what I should start as?

I don't have beta access just yet (though being a veteran player I should be getting it shortly), but from what I can tell, the Zodiac heroes seem to be the go-to picks for new players. Leo, Taurus and Sagittarius in particular. (Just don't play as Pisces or Libra and you'll be fine.)

Other than that, I'm glad they brought Cacame, Corvander and Ivan back in. They were pretty iconic Elltycopiae heroes in my eyes and it's great to see them in action again.

(Did anyone see the "early dynamite rushdown" videos? It's hilarious, with all five players using the Life Savings bonus (which doubles your starting gold and gives 50% to other resources) rushing Dynamite Stick Packs and end up dominating within the first 5 minutes or something stupid like that. Clearly nobody can figure out how to scout early enough to figure out how to play around that stuff when you could just buy a Broken Magic Mirror and be safe, but nooo... *sigh*)