Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Darkest Dungeon: Taking Meatshield Applications  (Read 4275 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Darkest Dungeon: Taking Meatshield Applications
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 08:37:27 pm »

Neonivek and I'll take the appropriate Abomination.

I don't have too much request with it, since it is a very risk reward class and needs to be balanced with your party if it is to work. (It is probably the most "risk versus reward" class given that its gimmick is that when it uses its main attacks it causes stress to your entire party AND it outright doesn't work with religious classes... the major source of stress reduction)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 09:10:11 pm »

Not sure if I will continue this. I have plenty of real life obligations to consume my time instead due to college, especially with semester finals coming up. And I have other hobbies I honestly am more interested in than playing games.

Plus, this isn't as fun as I thought it would be. It's more fun to just play the game rather than play the game, and pause every couple minutes -or seconds- to take a screenshot or take notes on events. Simply playing the game can be a stressful load of work, if things go wrong. And the way the game runs, semi-turn based with long battle encounters and a turn for each character and each enemy, with animations and what not constantly playing, makes just a single battle really meticulous to report on. Which begs the question, do I report every battle? Do I leave things out? Do I fluff it? etc.

The game is very visual based; to see more info on character traits, you hover the mouse over it, making it take more time to either take a screenshot of the trait in question, or write down what it does. So that's another hassle. All in all it's more of a chore to do a text+pictures let's play of this game than it is fun.

This would all be much easier if I could record it as a video, of course, but I don't have the hard drive space, editing know-how, or youtube channel to make such videos. Nor do I really want to, honestly.

So I'm kinda in this state of indecision: stopping it this early seems incredibly flaky and scummy, but at least it's early and no one is super interested and disappointed at it stopping; but running it for a while when I'm personally not interested in it, getting you the audience possibly invested, only to let quality slowly deteriorate before the whole thing dies in hiatus seems even more flaky and scummy.

So...I dunno. Probably should've thought about this more before starting it. Live and learn.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 12:14:59 am »

I humbly suggest, with my years of Let's Play experience* the following strategy:

Leave this alone till after your finals finish.

Post one update.

Abandon it forever.

Tried and true Let's Play formula, tried and true.

And I am being 100% serious.  Most Let's Plays die after the first couple of updates (which means after two, including the intro as one).  Plus, like all skills you get better with practice, usually with practicing on different Let's Plays.

What I use is Wisdom-soft ScreenHunter Free.  I open it and let it hang in the background, keyed to some combination not common.
As for proposed format, go one in-game unit at a time, with one picture at the beginning, one halfway through each area and after somebody almost dies, then one at the end.  Then just write whatever makes sense.  I usually post all the images then back fill the comments.

For another take, see what I did with this post on my latest LP.  I let the pictures tell the story without comments.  Even though nobody has ever said anything nice about it, I'm rather proud of it.

*Not successful experience, mind you, but at least they don't burn me out like they used to
Pages: 1 [2]