Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble creating new animal people  (Read 1564 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trouble creating new animal people
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

New update: You can start an adventurerer as an animal person.

So I go straight into the raws and add fox people. It all seems correct to me, but I get these errors:

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_foxmen.txt"
FOX_MAN:Unrecognized Creature Copy (Order is important!): FOX
FOX_MAN:Caste Selection Fails: MALE
FOX_MAN:Unrecognized Creature Token: CASTE_NAME
FOX_MAN:Caste Selection Fails: FEMALE
FOX_MAN:Unrecognized Creature Token: CASTE_NAME
FOX_MAN:Attack PUNCH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
FOX_MAN:Attack KICK seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
FOX_MAN:Attack SLAP seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added

This is my code:

Code: [Select]
[OBJECT:CREATURE]

[CREATURE:FOX_MAN]

[COPY_TAGS_FROM:FOX]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON]
[APPLY_CURRENT_CREATURE_VARIATION]
[GO_TO_END]
[SELECT_CASTE:MALE]
[CASTE_NAME:fox man:fox men:fox man]
[SELECT_CASTE:FEMALE]
[CASTE_NAME:fox woman:fox women:fox woman]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:KICK_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:TAIL_ATTACK]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_QUADRUPED_GAITS:900:528:352:176:1900:2900] 50 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 7 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:6561:6115:5683:1755:7456:8567] 5 kph, NO DATA
[GO_TO_START]
[NAME:fox man:fox men:fox man]
[DESCRIPTION:A person with the head and tail of a fox.]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
[MAXAGE:60:80]
[CREATURE_TILE:'p']
[COLOR:4:0:0]

I see nothing wrong here.

What is causing those errors?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble creating new animal people
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:11 am »

Stared at this for quite a while before it struck me. Order is important! The creature_foxmen file gets loaded earlier than creature_large_temperate, since F is earlier than L. So your raws are referencing FOX, which hasn't been loaded yet.

Either make your file name creature_zfoxmen or move the foxmen raws to somewhere that will get loaded after FOX.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:40 am »

Stared at this for quite a while before it struck me. Order is important! The creature_foxmen file gets loaded earlier than creature_large_temperate, since F is earlier than L. So your raws are referencing FOX, which hasn't been loaded yet.

Either make your file name creature_zfoxmen or move the foxmen raws to somewhere that will get loaded after FOX.
Thanks, it's working now!
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:33 am »

Ok, first I thought that I was just unlucky, but after generating ten worlds without being able to start as a fox man I think I'm doing something wrong. Before I posted this, I did get some different errors which I fixed, but I was able to start as a fox man (although the game crashed when I did that.)

I did not change any code since I started this topic. I am not getting any errors, and I can create a Fox Man in the arena and everything works as I want.

Do I need to do something else before I can start as a particular animal person?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:00:11 am »

Try bumping their numbers by a whole lot. Like, lot lots. And give them massive littersizes. If it works, then its just a simple rarity problem.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 08:53:42 am »

That worked! But why, when I finally find a fox man to start with, does he have to live in an elven retreat, and have no food and water on him?

-.-

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 12:28:44 pm »

I see you haven't played as an elf before.

^_^

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 01:19:03 pm »

I see you haven't played as an elf before.

^_^
No, I haven't. Please enlighten me.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 10:33:26 pm »

Nothing much to enlighten. Elf civ adventurers start with a weapon on their back and a dagger, that's all.