Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lavarama  (Read 1191 times)

Ograbme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lavarama
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:00:00 am »

After the steam nerf, I had to jury rig my already flawed lava defense system. The main problem now is that flooding the world will result in the lava touching the moat, creating a permanent flood. Without going into too much detail, I tried briefly flooding the outdoors, then closing the gates so the moat was dry by the time the flood got there. I barely failed and got some really bizarre results. The flood expanded outwards, but dried up behind itself- mostly. Somehow there are several layers of waves lurching across the landscape and in their wake hundreds of little magma puddles appear, maybe move a bit, and dissapear. Sometimes they congeal into lava amoebas and crawl around for a bit!
http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=0703&f=lava.jpg
http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=0703&f=lava2.jpg

This stuff waxes and wanes, but never goes away. My outdoors is doomed to be a broiling sea of random volcanic activity for all time!

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Ograbme ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lavarama
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:24:00 am »

Happened to me a couple times- it's the worst kind of infinite flood as it eats up processing power constantly.

If an unflood hits a flood front this crazy chaotic random pattern starts up, and there's nothing you can do to get rid of it. If you try to flood the place with lava again an unflood will just travel up your lava channel eventually...

To prevent this type of thing in the future, be very careful of short burst of a liquid on open terrain- there aren't any issues in one tile wide channels, this only happens in the open.

One thing you might be able to do is abandon and reclaim... The crazy waves stop in place, if you're lucky you might be able to walk between the waves and release a new wave of lava that you should then be able to get rid of easily at the close of a floodgate... That's a really iffy tactic with lava, but I had this type of thing happen with water before and I saved the fortress with a reclaim.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

I had this happen before, but it was in my entrance hall. It eventually went away on its own. I believe what caused it is I had a temporary workshop in the center of the hall to get rid of rock, and it was going in circles around the impassable workshop tiles. The same way you can release a permanent loop flood if you get lava going around a circular hallway - it goes around and around, the unflood following it but never catching up.

[ March 28, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

If you want to look at things positively, at least your landscape has it's own personality now! Even more, your lava amoebas might move toward a couple of siegers and "absorb" them, muahahaha!
he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.