Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: df_31_02 issue with hunting  (Read 775 times)

CrazyTim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
df_31_02 issue with hunting
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:34:47 am »

Hey all of you Bay Watchers out there in the forums...

I am playing the newest release as of April 9th /10, and I'm having an issue with my hunters.

They won't actualy go out hunting.

My ranger has all of the skills activated under the Hunting/Related tab under v>p>l, but he just sits there with his thumb up his butt...  Also his armor and ammo are just in a pile next to the caravan.

Any help would be loved, and if this is a noobish question, please don't flame; I just want some help.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: df_31_02 issue with hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:58:01 am »

I've only enabled hunting once on the new version, so I might be wrong on the specifics, but have you set the hunter's ammo under the military screen?  I believe that is where I found it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:06:12 am »

Quiver. They need a quiver. Plus the ammo assignment thing. m->f, iirc, with default keybindings.

You're probably going to get things done faster just assigning a military squad to kill passing animals, though. Individual kill commands or stationing them near a high (animal) traffic area does alright. Also apparently the only to 'hunt' with melee weapons. Remember to turn on outside refuse gathering or your dwarves won't pick up the corpses on the surface.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:59 am »

hunting works, sort of.

I've had an immigrant come with a cb and ammo equipped and he went hunting with those, shooting animals.

However, they're not picking a target at this time, but rather switch to the nearest animal pretty much whenever it changes. After a few months i've had a herd of merrily grassing mountain goats with bolts stuck in various bodyparts, none of them bothering to die any time soon and a hunter without ammo.

as the above poster mentioned, use military instead. They will actually kill things.