Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Improved Sieges  (Read 4484 times)

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Sieges
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 03:45:13 pm »

Here's an idea:

Suppose the siege comes to the fort and the player doesn't allow them an entrance into a killbox. (If deconstructing invaders, seal with natural walls. If digging invaders, seal with magma moat with cross-pattern support. If magma-safe, use void tiles. And so on...)

Why does a siege come, then?

If it is to kill the fort because of hate, too bad.

But if it is desire to secure their borders, well. Time to start securing!

And thus have siegers instead of just camping for a really long time build a settlement topside. If left to stand, the player fortress can be considered fallen for the rest of the world and settlement numbers eventually grow far past it, with sieges from other places now attacking the dark fortress/hamlet/forest retreat/lair.

I kind of like this idea, but your points about defense aren't completely true.  To be more specific, sealing the surface completely with a cave-in would be disadvantageous, although I suppose it could be recovered later.  Camping or building on the map is a good idea either way.  I mentioned this, and the magma-safe ideas in my earlier post; however, I like the idea you have of something more... developed.  Anyhow, that isn't trivial to do whereas other things suggested are.  AI behavior for collecting resources, building, and the rest can get pretty complicated.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »

Good counterpoint. At least there already exists procedural generation for civ sites, so it need not be completely from scratch - could generate the map for dark fortress and then call in builders with construction jobs from the main civilization.

PS: Indeed, there already are player disadvantages to sealing in beyond what that would add. It's more of a simulationist idea on making invaders smarter.

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 01:59:28 am »

Yeah, invaders that build! No sense to turtle now - either fight them or suffer slow and painful FPS death!

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »

Yeah, invaders that build! No sense to turtle now - either fight them or suffer slow and painful FPS death!

lel, or better yet,
support the invaders from behind the scenes, tossing the occasional dwarven child into their premises with your dwarf-o-pults.  Then, when the evil forces have grown hardy on dwarf flesh and their cruel devices of torture and murder have reached a pinnacle, open the floodgates and let the entire civilian population burn before finally allowing your military to quench their thirst for revenge.  In the ensuing flood of subsequent suicide, self-starvation, and general listlessness the dark god Moloch with reward you for your services with a fresh wave of victimsmigrants.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:08:49 pm by conflictensues »

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 11:11:37 am »

The main siege improvement I would want to see is defensive: ability to build earthworks with the dirt I dig up, instead of my miners causing it to mysteriously vanish without a trace. 

Having this system in place might also mitigate the issue of siege diggers tearing up the ground, by providing a way for the player to get things roughly back to the way they were at first. 
Pages: 1 [2]