Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to rip away weapon?  (Read 1572 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to rip away weapon?
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:01:32 pm »

The answer to this might be obvious, but how do you rip away a weapon? I've been trying to learn Kisat Dur by storming a goblin fortress and have successfully grabbed a woodcutter's axe. The only options in the wrestle menu are to take down or to release.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to rip away weapon?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:22:56 pm »

<I>nteract with inventory and you'll find it there, and if you have combat options attack preference to 'According to Opponent' or 'Close Combat', then moving into them may do it. These aren't the most efficient ways, though. Dodging right after making the grab is the safest way to do it in case you don't have the skill/str to get possession. You could also jump or charge, and if it knocks the opponent out of the tile you'll have whatever you're grabbing.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:27:47 pm »

You don't use the wrestle menu. There are 2 controlled disarms in Kisat Dur, generically I'd refer to them as Grab Jump and Grab Dodge.

When you elect to grab an NPC and you want to use the wrestle menu, you'd press the comma key "," and wait 1 tick for the grab to process. Now you can proceed further into the wrestle menu. But Grab Jump and Grab Dodge aren't part of the wrestle menu.

To perform Grab Jump or Grab Dodge, you chain actions together.

Grab Jump: you elect to grab (in this case, the weapon), *but* instead of waiting for the grab to process, you press (J) to jump and select a direction. Usually into the direction of the NPC to cause a nice collision.

Grab Dodge: you elect to grab (in this case, the weapon), *but* instead of waiting for the grab to process, you press (shift + A) to open the attack menu and select Dodge. Direction chosen is away from the NPC. Similar to the other combat exploit Quick Attack + Dodge Away.

If your character has the required strength, they'll be able to maintain possession of the weapon after performing Grab Jump or Grab Dodge. When you view the NPC's profile to gauge whether your character compares favorably (why engage otherwise?), it's best to think not just about strength tier, but also about size.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:29:33 pm by peasant cretin »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:33:37 pm »

I looked in the interaction menu, but I didn't see his weapon there. I then tried the grab & dodge technique, but it just released all my wrestling holds.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:35:53 pm »

The item won't appear in Interaction menu until the grab is successful. The grab won't be attempted until something else causes time to advance, like you pressing ',' (comma). Then once you see a message like:

You grab the hooked-nose human hammerman by the copper war hammer with your left hand!
The hooked-nose human hammerman's attack is interrupted!

Then you can go into the Interaction menu (Shift+i by default) and look for the item (listed in red and probably the last item), then press it's letter, then press 'a'.

You struggle for the copper war hammer.
You gain possession of the copper war hammer.

There are ways that the grab attempt can fail without a message, like if either of you dodge.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 02:51:55 pm »

If you already have a hold on your opponent you won't be able to dodge or jump anyway. But you need an empty hand to successfully grab an item from your opponent. When you have it in your hand, you'll have it in your inventory, and it'll appear in red at the very end of the list (because the interface is horrific.)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 11:48:09 pm »

Oh wait, you need an empty hand? This whole time I've been grabbing with my arms, not my hands. Thanks for the explanation.