Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the Western Front - the most realistic army division simulator ever!  (Read 816 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile

What do you think about this game? I've just bought it and it certainly has the potential to be the most immersive and detailed simulator of a division, especially with its inclusion of supply and medical units (I've been waiting for more than a decade for a game to include casualty evacuation). It has proper OOB, nice responsibility delegation with orders given by the AI shown on one screen where you can review them and cancel if you disagree, good combat, and even structures like military hospitals, showers and field kitchens that you can place yourself.

There are some issues with it, mainly with LoS not always working properly, casualty rate being too high and things like day/night cycle not being implemented properly (21:00 sunset on Jan. 1st is definitely not realistic).

Overall, I must say, that I wish there were more games like this. It's obviously very niche, but also a breath of fresh air to the genre.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/866400/On_The_Western_Front/

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Re: On the Western Front - the most realistic army division simulator ever!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 03:54:48 am »

A quality WWI game of this detail and particular scope has been long overdue, that's for sure.  Don't know if I'll get around to playing it but it looks like it could have the right stuff.  From the screenshots it looks as though it could be a micromanagement nightmare but perhaps the flow of play is more rewarding.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."