Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The finer points of wrestling  (Read 1109 times)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The finer points of wrestling
« on: August 30, 2006, 10:23:00 am »

I've had trouble figuring out how to wrestle properly, do choke holds and such.  Most of the time when I grab an enemy, the only option in the wrestle menu is to release my hold.  Once while fighting a giant I grabbed him by the head and was given the option to wrestle him to the ground or something similar...not sure what I did that led to that option, I just used both of my arms to grab him by the head.

Basically, how do I do the cool stuff?  What part do I grab with what part?  Can I grab a dog by the tail and swing him around?   :p

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: The finer points of wrestling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:25:00 am »

I've found that you gotta be grabbin' with both hands.   Also, I've not used wrestling that much so I'm not so good for advice.  When I do use it, it's because I've been disarmed, so then I just try to blind people or strangle them.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »

Ah, I found my problem...like you said, you have to grab people with hands, meaning drop the sword and shield.  Now I get it, and now the game is awesome.  Throwing zombies by the ear?  Yes.

Now I have another question.  One time when I was wrestling just now, my guy tore out an enemy's eye all by himself.  Is there a way to try to do this manually?

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »

If you're holding your enemy's head with either hand, you can gouge their eyes out. Also, if you're holding their neck, you can choke, and then strangle them.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »

The idea behind grabbing with a shield or other item in your hand is merely to restrain the bad guy, preventing him from running away.

It's not that useful for the player, since every enemy fights to the death.  But it's excellent for the enemy.

I remember one of my characters had his pants get grabbed and pulled off by a horde of skeletons in a ruin.

"I need an adult!  I need an adult!" =(

Actually, that reminds me.  One of the good, useful techniques while wrestling is to steal away items.  I once rendered a Skeleton King almost helpless -- he jammed a fine iron spear through my upper arm.  I grabbed the spear and yanked it away from him, and then -- spear still stuck in my arm -- proceeded to beat the snot out of him.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: JT ]

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Goodfuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 06:19:00 pm »

Wresting away an Item for those who don't know:
Grab the item in question with your right or left hand. Press Shift+i, and select the item from the list and chose to gain possession of it. You may or may not get the item. You can also do this to an enemy if your item got stuck in the wound and you lost it.

I once stole a kobold swordmaster's sword from him and threw it, and cut him, then took his leather shirt and strangled him with it. Wrestling is so much fun!

Choosing to Throw the enemy you have grabbed should let you throw him like if you were trowing an item. Anyone know the difference between Throwing an enemy and Taking him down? They both seem to be the same.

[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: Goodfuzzy ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 06:30:00 pm »

Taking him down tries to drop him in the same tile.  If he's not injured, he'll usually use his next turn to stand up.

Throwing him can cause him to fall down or actually get projected a tile or two away.  If you can throw him into an obstacle, all the better.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Goodfuzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »

Is that so? I've noticed that throwing also keeps them down longer...

I also disturbed some large roaches. I picked one up and beat another kobold to death with it. Apparently weilded correctly, a large roach can damage organs... I hit 2 organs at once, and the next hit that landed, the kobold's lower body exploded in gore!

tourettedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 07:12:00 pm »

Also, non-humanoid creatures (eg antmen) seem to be immune to joint locks.  Having a weapon handy to stab them to death with after you've ripped out their eyes is handy.

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 07:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Goodfuzzy:
<STRONG>Is that so? I've noticed that throwing also keeps them down longer...</STRONG>

Throwing stuns an enemy as well as knocking them down. (The flashing cyan 'X' means "stunned", I think.) Extra time for bone-breaking, eye-gouging, and strangling.

quote:
Originally posted by tourettedog:
<STRONG>Also, non-humanoid creatures (eg antmen) seem to be immune to joint locks.  Having a weapon handy to stab them to death with after you've ripped out their eyes is handy.</STRONG>

For non-undead, you could simply strangle them. For undead, you could put combat mode on "Strike" and punch them to death. (Or hit them with lizards, fairies, etc.) You gain Wrestling skill that way.

PvK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 05:34:00 pm »

I and another axe/shield dwarf were fighting a nasty goblin when my axe got stuck in the goblin and I lost hold of it. He had chainmail armor, beating him with my shield wasn't helping much, and my comrade was starting to get beaten. I didn't know about the fancy specific wrestling options, but my dwarf did have the skill, so I set Combat obtion to Charge and knocked the goblin down with my shield, then set Combat mode to close combat, and just attacked him in that mode, which resulted in my dwarf grabbing the goblin by various parts, getting him to drop his weapon, and abusing him in various ways but mainly keeping him immobilized so my comrade could recover and chop him with his axe. That was quite cool.

fahdiz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • REPEAT THAT WHICH WORKS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>I remember one of my characters had his pants get grabbed and pulled off by a horde of skeletons in a ruin.

"I need an adult!  I need an adult!" =(</STRONG>

:D

Outstanding.

"It is a hard matter, my fellow citizens, to argue with the belly, since it has no ears." -- Plutarch