Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flying fortresses  (Read 2699 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: Flying fortresses
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 05:53:49 am »

Also, if I had some kind of "Dwarves ignore dangerous terrain" order then it would be a quick fix

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 07:24:19 am »

It was a bit of a joke. And yes, that's the only way to get a "flying fortress" in any sense of the word at the moment.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-682-floatingice

I'm surprised Hishan didn't mention it, considering it's his movie. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:25 am »

It was a bit of a joke. And yes, that's the only way to get a "flying fortress" in any sense of the word at the moment.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-682-floatingice

I'm surprised Hishan didn't mention it, considering it's his movie. :P

The thread is about flying creatures in fortress mode, not actually biulding a flying fortress, but yes you could use the ice bug I found to make a floating fort, happy now?

I still want that ice cannon.  >:(

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 07:56:25 am »

can't you just use mined ice fired from a catapult?

or you can wait for steam-pressure to be implemented...

i.e.
a tunnel open to air, loaded with rocks/ice and a magma chamber at the closed end, drop in water/ice => burst of steam blasting out anything inside tunnel.
if pressure can be contained in closed spaces, such an aquabux (pun, sorry: Arquebus) can become quite a complex system for traps too.

Support being localized again (5tile rule) and magi-constructs supplying such support are high on my wishlist.
possibilities range from a magical stone that takes a mechanical force and transforms it into support to mechanisms such as giantcorkscrews and windmills run in reverse and even balloons.

being able to set 'dangerous terrain' in the init or raws is a good request for non-terrestrial creatures.

How about magma dwarves? digging tunnels filled with magma. dying of exposure really fast when caught in inclement weather. etc. won't work when magma is seen as dangerous.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:41 am »

being able to set 'dangerous terrain' in the init or raws is a good request for non-terrestrial creatures.

Is that possible? Or just another thing on the wish list

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:11 am »

It is a request, passably similar to a wish. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:22 am »

I started building a floating fortress out of a completely undermined mountain top before.

The dwarves need a way to get to the groundfloor anyway, so, technically, the fortress was suspended by a single tile wide stairway. I guess in the 3DViewer this would look somewhat like a lowered ropeladder. Of course there is the mandatory dooms day lever that would detach the stairway and crash the entire fort. Wells work fine through open space, I intended to simply fill some reservoirs by a bucket chain and use the water to create farmable mud.

I postponed the project until later when I didn't find a suitable site with a tree covered mountaintop that would make my floating fortress truly independent.

Pages: 1 [2]