Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gathering Ash  (Read 1730 times)

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gathering Ash
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:12:21 pm »

Whenever there is a fire or a magma flood over grassland it leaves lots of ash on the ground,

I think it would be neat if you could have people collect it afterwards, perhaps like how plant gathering works now.

The main issue i can think of is that the ash may contain more impurities then ash especially prepared in a furnace.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering Ash
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:18:06 pm »

Bear in mind that "ash" in DF refers specifically to the kind of wood ash you'd use for extracting potash. If anything, the game is a little lax as-is because it lets you use any wood, whereas I'm not sure that's realistic. It's hard to say, really, but I don't think I'd agree with allowing the player to use "ashes" from any old burnt material.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »

Isn't potassium in the ash the only thing needed for potash production?

I would think most plants fine for making potash though presumably much more ash should be consumed per unit of potash.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:42 pm »

Isn't potassium in the ash the only thing needed for potash production?

Certain compounds of potassium. I'm not sure why hardwoods are better than most other plants, but apparently they are.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »

Wait

So does this mean that bananas are a very good resource for potash production? They do have a lot of potassium in them, iirc
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:26:17 am »

Wait

So does this mean that bananas are a very good resource for potash production? They do have a lot of potassium in them, iirc

I said "certain compounds of potassium" for a reason. Just because something has a certain chemical element in it doesn't mean that it has the compounds that you're looking for. You're looking to leach potash and/or lye (I'm still unclear of the details), not just anything with potassium in it.

I have absolutely no idea what form the potassium in potassium-rich vegetable matter is (bananas, some other fruits, spinach, potatoes, etc.), so it may or may not apply.

For what it's worth, I know that there are other plants aside from hardwood trees that can be used to produce lye/potash, but I'm not sure which.