Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelting creatures  (Read 1134 times)

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
Smelting creatures
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:38:26 pm »

I've been looking at the modding section of the wiki and reading some of the threads about smelter reactions. This brings me to the question of whether or not I can create a reaction that will generate a creature. Or possibly a creature in a cage?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Smelting creatures
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:46:40 pm »

Not in a cage.
They'll be generated as vermin (without AI) and as such will simply crawl around until they starve/die.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 02:04:48 pm »

Could I smelt a dog, then repair it at the kennels?
Totally Unrelated, Shameless Self Promotion: Battles of the Star Angels and Space Devils

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »

ROTFL!!! Dwarf Fortress is the only game I could ever EVER think of where someone would even be asking about smelting dogs!  ;D Hilarious! It sounds like you can only smelt vermin, according to jaybuds post, but I don't know.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:47:30 am »

ROTFL!!! Dwarf Fortress is the only game I could ever EVER think of where someone would even be asking about smelting dogs!  ;D Hilarious! It sounds like you can only smelt vermin, according to jaybuds post, but I don't know.

Not in a cage.
They'll be generated as vermin (without AI) and as such will simply crawl around until they starve/die.
Could I smelt a dog, then repair it at the kennels?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

If by "repair," you mean "turn into a regular dog," no.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 02:38:03 pm »

If by "repair," you mean "turn into a regular dog," no.

By "repair", I mean "turn it into a war/hunting dog". Or is it only good as a butcherable?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 02:39:53 pm »

It's only good as whatever a rat would be good for. You could probably make it a pet, or perhaps a really hungry dwarf would come by and eat it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 05:11:51 pm »

You could probably butcher it, yes. It doesn't have [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] like all vermin except purring maggots have. And you find purring maggot meat all over the place in adventure mode.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

the_taken

• Bay Watcher
  • Oooooooh... shiny...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 05:13:52 pm »

You could probably butcher it, yes. It doesn't have [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] like all vermin except purring maggots have. And you find purring maggot meat all over the place in adventure mode.

Good enough, I guess.