Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My new self-challange...  (Read 1850 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: My new self-challange...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 11:58:25 pm »

Yeah, volcanos cover your site with ash every once in a while, i hear.

Yeah, was thinkng about doing this challenge sometime, but have been picking sites without any plants and I wouldn't have been able to construct a trade depot after making a vermin trap and cage to keep my dwarves fed til an immigrant arrived with a pick.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 07:19:29 am »

Wiki has this to say about Volcanos;

There is also a bug where a volcano will appear on the same spot as a bottomless chasm, creating a spectacle that may appear like the volcano is erupting.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:16 pm »

Start with nothing. Spend no points. No weapons. No food. No booze.

NO PICKS.

Survive. Thrive. Eventually build a fortress.

(Note that this is only possible because you get 3 free pieces of wood from your initial wagon. This can be used to build your first workshops, and when the time is right, they can be dismantled for a trade post).

So it's constantly a shuffle regarding which 3 buildings you have, until they're all torn down and a tradepost built.  And no digging, so everyone/everything is outdoors for the first 2 1/2 seasons or so.

Ouch.

Feeding wouldn't be a problem - Gather Plants and then make farm plots up the wazoo.  Not like anyone has anything else to do but harvest.  One Table for a meeting area, even if that takes 1 of the 3 buildings?  Probably not, unless the wagon landed in a bad spot. 

And "Hunting" could be done with some micromanagement by activating some military, posting them strategically, harassing the wildlife, and just gang-tackling targets.  From there, leather and bags, then armor.

Outdoors for that long - some grumbling, I'd assume.  But yeah, it could be done.

But Respect - maybe once I master the regular startup I'll tackle something this thin.

I didn't see an imp. So I get to say it was an eruption.  :P

You can say it was divine intervention and will and the hammer of Armok - it was still an imp.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:37:38 pm by Albedo »
Pages: 1 [2]