Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long time fan, first post  (Read 777 times)

rewinged

• Bay Watcher
  • Wallawallawoosh? Bingbangboosh!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Link
Long time fan, first post
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »

Hey everyone.

I'd like to start by saying I am in love with this game, but it's a hard relationship. I signed up for the forums months ago thinking I should probably get involved with the community wince I'd been lurking for so long but completely forgot when I found some interesting topics and posts. That's where I have my difficulty with DF. I have barely scraped the surface of the game. I gen worlds and read the histories. I occasionally create adventurers and explore the lands seeing some of the results of the history first hand. I have tried creating fortresses but get a little confused at times, usually just being overwhelmed by the UI or having trouble with fortress designs and such. I've only really reached my second group of immigrants so I've yet to witness a siege or many of the problems that arise in a long-running fort.

I'm not complaining in any way though, I have to make that clear. I just have so much fun reading about other peoples mishaps and adventures and tend to get caught up. I'm hoping to be able to learn at least the fundamentals before the next major release since there will be a whole lot more to learn at that point.

Well all I want to say really is a big friendly hello. I am amazed by the amount of work toady has put into the game and equally amazed by some of the stories and discussions on this forum. Perhaps I'm just not dorfy enough just yet. Well someday I'll be able to contribute I'm sure.

Thank you.
Each note sounds so pure, it just cuts into her.
And then the melody comes pouring out her eyes.  - Bright Eyes

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Long time fan, first post
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:29:01 pm »

Welcome rewinged ;)
Dwarf fortress really is an obscure game at first, but sticking with it, and learning how to actually play it, you'll find one of the finest pearls in gaming :)

If you're still having a hard time with the basics (Micro-managing dwarves, food, getting booze) I suggest doing Captain Ducks youtube tutorial, and possibly getting one of the tools the community have made to make it just a tad easier, the UI really can get confusing.

Don't hesitate to ask questions around here, we rarely bite or say mean things (Unless you're asking about a possible DF Multiplayer, or discussing World of Warcraft, don't go there!).

Oh, and you'll notice when you start going dorfy.
Sudden urges to burn cats, for one, are one of the many symptoms.

But in short, welcome aboard and enjoy the sometimes-crazy ride.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:58:48 pm »

Welcome.

I'm hoping to be able to learn at least the fundamentals before the next major release since there will be a whole lot more to learn at that point.

Hopefully in some aspects there'll be less to learn.  Some of the biggest messes in the game, like squad management, are getting totally revamped in the next version, and there will be new "nobles" like the quartermaster and surgeon who give you overviews of the situation.

rewinged

• Bay Watcher
  • Wallawallawoosh? Bingbangboosh!
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Link
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »

Ah good, squad management was something that gave me a headache to tell the truth heh. Thanks for that though. I've watched quite a few of the tutorials on youtube. I think it's more of a psychological thing. Iunderstand it all, just doing it all is something completely different heh.
Each note sounds so pure, it just cuts into her.
And then the melody comes pouring out her eyes.  - Bright Eyes