Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Delve Deeper (or die trying)  (Read 3018 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Delve Deeper (or die trying)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:42 pm »

And so, Dwarf Fortress has been remade, and is ready to be released to the general public. Well, at least the females have beards too. It's a plus.
This isn't even trying to be DF, just because something has dwarves digging it is now a DF clone?
Well, the king does wear purple. Though I'd at most call that a homage (or just a coincidence).

Purple is traditionally the color of royalty.

the whole theme, in this thread and in others, of DF being ripped off is complete BS and I am so tired of it. Dwarves with kings, digging in the ground, fighting goblins, engineering things, etc is NOT AN ORIGINAL IDEA.

get over it.
I got nothing

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »

Well, the king does wear purple. Though I'd at most call that a homage (or just a coincidence).

In what country?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 12:58:04 pm »

Name is also similar to Dig Deeper, a popular DF mod.

Probably an homage.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »

In what country?

Rome, among others.

Learn something you bum.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 02:30:47 pm »

Name is also similar to Dig Deeper, a popular DF mod.

Probably an homage.

Delving too greedily and too deep isn't something unique to DF.

Seriously guys, sometimes it looks like you think Toady invented Dorfs.
Shoes...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »

And so, Dwarf Fortress has been remade, and is ready to be released to the general public. Well, at least the females have beards too. It's a plus.
This isn't even trying to be DF, just because something has dwarves digging it is now a DF clone?

the whole theme, in this thread and in others, of DF being ripped off is complete BS and I am so tired of it. Dwarves with kings, digging in the ground, fighting goblins, engineering things, etc is NOT AN ORIGINAL IDEA.

get over it.

I agree with you, people overreact around here a bit too much about it.
Quite a few of the themes and creatures used in Dwarf Fortress are based off of normal fantasy traditions that are widespread.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »

Delving too greedily and too deep isn't something unique to DF.
Specifically, a quote VERY close to that is from Lord of the Rings.

Also,
HD Pixel art
What? What does that mean? I thought "pixel art" was about pixels so big it's not "High Definition".
Eh...  "pixel art" really just means "2D and drawn specifically for monitor display".  I mean, sure, originally you needed really good pixel art because making recognizable SNES-era sprites took an entirely different art style from hand-drawn art.  But unlike all but the pickiest of picky Photoshop artists, pixel art is art that you draw often literally one pixel at a time, to get that border just right, to make that angle look right, to draw a solid boundary between the eye and the rest of the head etc.  Maybe it starts out hand-drawn, but if you're willing to go in and tweak every last pixel then it's pixel art.  It's not at all different to any other 2D game, except that they said "HD".  Which sounds pretty cool I guess.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:11 am »

I played the demo and didn't really think much of it, be interested to know what others see in it though. Mostly its different to what I expected and didn't gel well with me. Of course maybe I didn't give it long enough, I only played for about 10 minutes.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Wayward Garden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wayward Garden
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:52 am »

I looked into this back before it launched. It's got a nice, dwarfy aesthetic to it, and some decent, if a bit campy, humor, and it is just $5, but I still wound up not buying it because it's definitely designed to be a multiplayer game, but it only supports local (i.e. hotseat) multiplayer. I'd have picked it up in a heartbeat for $5 if it supported online multiplayer.
Pages: 1 [2]