Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can dwarves marry siblings?  (Read 3068 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can dwarves marry siblings?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 06:55:11 am »

Actually, part of the reason that marriages between cousins were disallowed with most nobles was that they wanted to prevent any single family from intermarrying enough nobles in the same area that they could form a familial bloc of nobles that could make a power grab. 

House of Habsburg, nuff said. Their dominion over most of Europe occurred precisely via this method. Given that a Habsburg always sat on the Holy Roman Imperial throne around this time, though, says that it was disallowed mainly among those who were not powerful enough to protest against the Pope.
!!&!!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 12:06:55 pm »

It was in one of the earlier DF talks, probably in the range of numbers 3-7 if you want to verify it.

Good call:

Quote from: DF Talk 4
Rainseeker:   Very good. So as far as races are concerned, everyone doesn't come from two people.
Toady:   That's how it works right now. We wanted a little bit of ... at first it was just because we didn't want a lot of inbreeding because if everyone comes from two people then the first step is fine, but then the second step you're like 'well ...'.
Rainseeker:   Well that's okay, I mean you have to right? For the first like, what, ten generations, or maybe just three generations?
Toady:   People would have to do things with their brothers and sisters. And so to avoid that we've got ten pairs, and ten pairs is enough so that ... the game avoids certain inbreeding; you should never have brothers with brothers - I'm sorry, that's not even going to lead to a long line - I meant brothers and sisters, and half-brothers and half-sisters. It should avoid those, it should avoid parents and children, but I think certain things ... the farther out on the graph you search the longer it takes to find things ... but I haven't really made my best effort there, because I think uncles and aunts are still okay, and cousins it doesn't check for. Cousins, they have a lot more historical basis, so they're actually fine, essentially, but aunts and uncles I don't think have quite as much ...
Rainseeker:   So a niece could marry an uncle?
Toady:   This is the current setup, yeah. So you don't really need ten pairs, you just need, what, two or something.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »

Oh god...

I've unleashed a monster...

:'(
Pages: 1 [2]