Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uhh....  (Read 1952 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uhh....
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:53:58 am »

While training my Crossbowdwarf, I tab out, browse Facebook and the sort, and I tab back in - MY CROSSBOWDORF HAS KILLED EVERYONE IN MY FORTRESS.

Anyone else had this issue?
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uhh....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:30 am »

My guess is: You left him set to train 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 4weeks a month, every month of the year, forever...
He got "unhappy" and went bezerk with a crossbow and his Legendary crossbow-skills.

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:15:20 am »

Fortress was only a few seasons old. I'd only just drafted a Happy Migrant, trained him for a bit (not even a season) sent him out to kill some Camels (which he did!) and then he took out my Doctor, Farmers and found his way into the Dining Room - carnage.
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:32:42 am »

Did the dwarf went @ or had message of GONE BERSERK? I believe game pauses at that message, though. How did you designated the camels to be hunted down?

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:09 am »

Nope. Just started taking potshots at people, and cats.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:34:42 am »

First off, your title is a bit misleading.

Getting that out of the way there's a whole bunch of reasons why this could have happen.

Citizens get annoyed with drafts.
He could of had a pet which followed him into the hunting ground and got killed making him zerk.
One of his family members could have died, annoying him.
He could have been an elf not enjoy seeing suffering and the act of killing made his mind break.
He could have been injuried or knocked out, making him rather pissed off at the world.
A hunter sleeps on the ground. This could have pushed him over the edge.
He had no waterskin/flask. Drank bad water.
Battled with the animal for a while, making him tired, hungry, thirsty, pissy.
He likes camels? (not sure if this makes dorfs unhappy, i think 2D had something like this though)
Went off duty and spoke to some guy he didn't like for too long.
Drank too much of the same booze.

Anyway, I think thats about it. Good luck finding the problem.

Edit: This is assuming that he went berserk. If that isn't the case then you could have marked a dwarf from your civ (not your fort) for killing and the classic Loyalty Cascade  occured.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 08:36:51 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:40 am »

did you order him to kill caravan camels?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 01:59:26 pm »

My guess is: You left him set to train 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 4weeks a month, every month of the year, forever...
He got "unhappy" and went bezerk with a crossbow and his Legendary crossbow-skills.
after a military dwarf reaches a certain skill level (above novice i think it was) in a weapon skill, they are no longer angered by the draft, and some skill level below legendary eleminates the bad thought of long patrol duty.  at legendary, they will get unhappy thoughts on being deactivated.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 02:11:26 pm »

Is it possible (I'm actually asking here - I have no idea if this exists) that he...like...misfired and hit something other than his intended target (which was a target). Maybe he overshot the target, hit a dwarf, and was flagged as an enemy?

Does this exis? Because if it does...that's awesome.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »

Think that this is NOT possible. Maybe with ballistas, but not normal crossbows.
What kind of camels did you kill? Are you on a camel-supporting biome? (Desert or whatever) If not, you probably shot one camel of a dwarf trading caravan, which means that your Xbowdorf was flagged as an enemy of your own civilization which leads to very quick Fun usually.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 08:09:05 pm »

Was the space between your crossbowdwarf and the training target he was using a traffic zone? Its possible that the other dwarfs just wandered in the way of his shots.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 09:26:20 pm »

Was the space between your crossbowdwarf and the training target he was using a traffic zone? Its possible that the other dwarfs just wandered in the way of his shots.

As far as I know there is no friendly fire for crossbowdwarves, so that couldn't cause the deaths.

Perhaps he tantrummed and used his crossbow to kill those people. That might explain why there was no game pause, and why the dorf appears normal afterward.
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »

I've had something similar to this happen to me, although my Expert Crossbowdwarfette was quickly subdued by a Hammerdwarf (Who from then on now resides in the best of bedrooms.)

From what I gather, I'm assuming the hunting was either of untamed camels (And one of the bolts missed and accidentally hit another dwarf or caravan), or just hunted a caravan camel. Practically what everyone else has said.
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.