Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is there a mod that makes you tag dwarf so you can follow there every move?  (Read 1330 times)

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet

Hi  i was wondering is there is a mod that would let me follow a few dwarf and lets the screen auto follow  them around
i do this on my self but need to pause the game a million time evertime they move a floor up or down, and  look in the list where they are and zoom again on them
and then most of the time the game is paused

i would be like  in rollercoaster tycoon  where you can label a  few random guests give them a name
and see what they are up to, or get a msg  when they puke or take a piss, eat, buy/get something, or do what ever

i think this would be a great addon  to the game if its not made yet

History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not quite how modding works around here. This isn't Minecraft, we can't implement new features.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet

aah so there is no sutch thing then..

Not quite how modding works around here. This isn't Minecraft, we can't implement new features.
and what about the mod that convert the entire dwarf fortress play experience into something else?

this would be a bit the same  i think
i dont want to change the hole game just follow some random dwarf around  when playing the  game, and watch my little people  slowly get things done.

mabye the auto follow thing would be a new  feature
but more news on a single dwarf would not be as  you already get news  if they are pised or  get some mood, this would only add  some more new eneties
like i would give some urly old dwarf my girlfiends name and see in the news that she is a a party, sleeping, drinking, fighing something
in my view it would be like addinf more items to the game, just expaning the news on a single dwarf

anyway id does not mather to much just wonder if there was some mod around that did this
so it would make looking at my dwarf easyer
History always has a few tricks up its frayed sleeve. It's been around a long time.
Creators aren't gods. They make places, which is quite hard. It's men that make gods. This explains a lot.
One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather.
This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet

Double post..
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:16:32 am by Jaylow »

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can only change what basic guidelines are set, and we cannot modify anything hardcoded. Basically, you can make new items, beings, and that sort of thing but if you wanted to make explosions that destroyed several blocks... nope.

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet

okay did not know that :)

i wanted to suggest it but wel some one already did a long time ago so i bumped it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5653.0

Jaylow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fleet

Quote from: Armeleon on Today at 02:07:46 am
"So please correct me those of you who create visualizers and mods, but would this be only a matter of creating a mirror program? If you can read enough data from DF to create something like Stonesense, wouldn't it only be a simple matter to add a command that follows the coordinates of a single dwarf?"

so would this be possible?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Quote from: Armeleon on Today at 02:07:46 am
"So please correct me those of you who create visualizers and mods, but would this be only a matter of creating a mirror program? If you can read enough data from DF to create something like Stonesense, wouldn't it only be a simple matter to add a command that follows the coordinates of a single dwarf?"

so would this be possible?
If you look at it that way, then it would probably be possible yes. The only problem that you run into then is finding someone to make it for you. Most people here mod within the game's boundaries, only a tiny handful actually work on companion programs like dwarf therapist and stonesense. So if you manage to find someone here who would be willing to create a program to do that for you then great, but else wise it would probably be just as fast if not faster to simply learn how to code yourself and make the companion program that does exactly what you want it to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.