Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help building something...  (Read 1685 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Need help building something...
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:00:21 pm »

So I want to build another atom-smasher (which is simple) but my current one is very dangerous and two dwarves have been mashed under it already.

For the sake of avoiding unneeded deaths, I'd like to replace it.

This makes me wonder:

Do items that have been dropped on a tile trigger pressure plates?
Will a draw bridge destroy a pressure plate?

If both of those are no, I can move on:

How do I design a (probably water based) logic system so that if any pressure plates in the room pressed and the lever to activate the system is pulled, nothing happens?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help building something...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »

Draw bridges and pressure plates cannot occupy the same tile. Lifting a draw bridge will not allow you to build underneath it.

For my part, I find the safest way to atom smash stuff is to build the smasher well out of the way, with the lever near my main dining room or meeting area. That way, I can verify that no one is there, and not have to worry about a long travel time in which someone might run under it before it comes down.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:17:34 pm »

You could dig a channel, add some stairs to the side and build a room with an atomsmasher down there, link it up, dig the ramp and wall up the stairs down or put a locked hatch over it, and designate the hole as a dump. Dwarves will drop the trash down there hole where you can safely atomsmash it and if you ever need something you can just unlock the hatch and get it!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

You could dig a channel, add some stairs to the side and build a room with an atomsmasher down there, link it up, dig the ramp and wall up the stairs down or put a locked hatch over it, and designate the hole as a dump. Dwarves will drop the trash down there hole where you can safely atomsmash it and if you ever need something you can just unlock the hatch and get it!

Oh this is an awesome idea.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:08:24 am »

I usually just put my atomsmasher behind a door. When I want to smash the junk, I lock the door and pull the lever. I do it this way because one of the main uses for atomsmashers is destruction of clothing. So when I create a new squad, I give them a "over clothing" uniform, station them in the atomsmasher, then change their uniform to a "replace clothing". This leaves all their clothing in the atomsmasher.

An even lazier way to protect dwarves from being smashed is to designate the atomsmasher as low or restricted traffic. Thus dwarves wont step on it without a specific purpose.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:14:54 am »

I tend to find a spot open and exposed on the surface, then ring it with flood gates. A dump inside and high traffic squares. Then after the dump is cleared the A lever is pulled, closing the flood gates. Then I can see if anyone is inside. There's a B lever that will open just one of the gates and let anyone inside, out. Lever C can only activate when both A and B are in the closed position. C activates the smasher.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »

How do I design a (probably water based) logic system so that if any pressure plates in the room pressed and the lever to activate the system is pulled, nothing happens?

Well, that's default behavior.  Just don't hook anything up, and nothing will happen :)

But I assume you mean, how do you make it so that a lever does something if and only if a pressure plate has not been set off?  As mentioned, you probably don't need to do this to make a safe atom smasher-- but in case you were wondering, this is an AND gate application.  If lever input and not pressure plate input then output.  You can do this with mechanical, creature, or water logic fairly simply.  If you're interested, you might want to check out the wiki logic pages.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:37:05 pm »

Oh this is an awesome idea.

Or you know, build a door and lock it when no-one is there to be smashed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.