Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So this is a thing that lives in South America  (Read 1465 times)

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
So this is a thing that lives in South America
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:46 pm »

I haven't checked, but I highly doubt this has been posted yet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: What is it? (click to show/hide)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So this is a thing that lives in South America
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »

Nice Photoshop work, OP. 8/10.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:45:12 pm »

It's on the Wikipedia article, dude. Google images for brazilian harvestman. Are you going to tell me all those are photoshops?

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:52 pm »

Insects and arachnids have some awesome defenses, don't they? I will admit this despite my hatred of most arachnids (i like scorpions though.)
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 09:54:32 pm »

Meanwhile, in America nearly everywhere, there is a beetle that shoots boiling hot caustic liquid at anything that tries to attack it.

Yeah I got bombarded by one of these things on a camping trip. It's not as horrifying as you might imagine, but seriously mother nature is too clever for her own good to produce a creature like this anyways.

Kinda reminds me of a Pistol Shrimp. These are creatures that cock their claws back and are released under so much pressure, that the cavitation momentarily creates a point of space hotter then the sun or some horrific thing like that and it's the loudest sound created by a biological creature. They swim around the ocean and blast at their prey with their claws at point-blank range like some kind of deranged gunman. If I was a mad scientist I'd scale these things up and cause earthquakes and melt submarines with their deadly fusion-reaction cavitating snapping claws.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »

Except policemen don't tend to eat the guys they stun.
Well so much for being a cop.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »

There is only one logical response to horrible things which live on this earth.

KILLITKILLIT OGOD KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:31:13 pm »

... that's our general response to everything we're unwilling to eat and/or monetize, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:39:12 pm »

For some reason this makes me want to start a Drone Tactics inspired forum game
It's FEF, not FEOF

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:33 pm »

Insects and arachnids have some awesome defenses, don't they? I will admit this despite my hatred of most arachnids (i like scorpions though.)

Like scorpions, you say? Travel to Arizona in the US. Bark scorpions are one of the most toxic scorpions in the US, and congregate in colonies up to 20 to 30. And they like to live in houses.
Well, liking scorpions doesn't in this case mean i want to be very close to something that can easily kill me. But in comparison to those web-spinning assholes spiders i like them quite a bit.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:43:58 pm »

Oh. The harvestman. The thing that congregates in creepy looking masses of arachnid. Cool thing of them to do, but I still think I prefer the other kind of the daddy long legs. Cellar spiders are rather nice spiders, being able to kill the other spiders I dread. (Plus, they look kinda funny when they start vibrating.)

Seriously, though. Something is up with those medium sized things, it's like they have no fear compared to the smaller or bigger ones.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:13:07 am »

They know you don't know how to deal with them. Smash small ones. Engage large ones like other animals. But the medium ones are too big for neat smashing and too small to hit like other animals.

Seriously, fire's probably the best option if they're being aggressive and/or intrusive. And if you don't keep your house fireproof, that's your own problem and you knew it when you made that decision.