Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boots are a weird weight?  (Read 622 times)

RockBiterSon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boots are a weird weight?
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:09:09 pm »

Is there a reason that high boots and low boots are more heavy than every other type of armour? (keep in mind that that's also doubled by wearing two of them) Or why they are the same weight as eachother? One is made from twice as much material and covers twice as much leg, and yet...

some comparative shots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

note: I guess this doesn't really relate to adventure mode. I was just playing adventure mode when I noticed it.

EDIT: Also, how does one change something's weight in the raws? A quick glance at them tells me that weight must be calculated from a few factors as there is no number directly correlating to something's weight.

Copy-Pasted from Adventure mode discussion where it never really belonged in the first place. Has anyone else noticed that boots are quite heavy? Or anything else weird about armour or weight?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Boots are a weird weight?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:39:55 pm »

Boots do seem just a little heavy, yeah.

And for moving topics as the OP you can always simply scroll down to the bottom and there are options to move/lock the thread (bottom right, I think).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Boots are a weird weight?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:30 am »

Armor weights are a bit funny, yeah.  In particular, someone did some experimenting to determine the thickness and surface area of pieces of armor based on a creature's size, I believe, and they found that the armor quickly became unrealistic with size.  I believe their results indicate that DF treats armor as being of uniform thickness across the body, so while real greaves / sabatons / whatever you put on your feet would probably be a bit thinner than what's on your torso, that's not the case in DF.

The mass calculations for armor pieces are based on body part size in some fashion, and I'm suspecting that DF also just does some funny things there.  It probably doesn't factor the coverage of the armor into this, so two pieces of armor for the feet of the same material end up weighing the same amount, despite having different coverage values.

Edit: I thought that thread was by Urist Da Vinci, but that was about butchering yields.  I have no idea where I read that now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:38:37 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.