Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A History of Thatthil Golud, "The Autumn of Harvests"  (Read 704 times)

Ironlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A History of Thatthil Golud, "The Autumn of Harvests"
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »

What follows is the introduction to the memorable biography of Iden Ingizavuz that was penned some years after the events it describes.

Deep in the galleries of our mountainhomes, it seemed that the only words spoken were of the coming winter; spoken in the hushed whispers and clipped tones of those who cannot help but feel the imminent doom hanging overhead. 

Winter time meant little in the mountainhomes of the Entangled Trade, which lay deep beneath the mountains of the temperate north, sheltered from the changes of the seasons.  Winter was for elves and humans.  Winter froze the mountain passes, stopping both war and trade.  This, once, would have meant nothing to the Dwarves.  Already they lived apart, isolated from the world deep in their underground cities, protected by gates made of the very mountainside itself.

But this winter that they spoke of was the winter of decline.  It was a winter of stasis; the coming of death and ruination.   For nearly two hundred years, The Entangled Trade had been..entangled...in war with not one, but two goblin hosts from the lands to the south.  Though the Dwarves were strong, and had for two centuries driven back the foul menace, it had been at great cost and with great loss.   

The wartime history for The Entangled Trade was long and glorious, so the dwarves had been ready for the Goblin invaders, despite having enjoyed some 4 centuries of peace since the last great goblin enemy, dubbed by the Dwarves   “The Neutral Doom”, had been wiped clean from the land of Thur Som.   This new enemy was stronger, and disturbingly savvy.  There were said to be a host of some 10,000 goblins hungry for Dwarven spoils.   

Under the leadership of the Great king Ini Bodyrough, rumored in his day to be immortal, The Dwarves were eager to pare down this number.   Then came the first battle, “The Scrapped Clash” led by the King himself.  The battle lead to a staggering defeat, with some 1500 warriors left to the crows.  Worse still, it was revealed that Bodyrough himself was indeed undying; as both friend and foe alike looked on in astonishment, while the King who had been slain in battle rose again, to fight once more.   

For over 30 years, the dwarves remained under their Vampire king, sealed within their mountain fortress and sworn to silence under pain of death.   In that time, every dwarf who had witnessed his unmasking died or went disappeared.   Historians have since credited King Bodyrough with more than fifteen thousand murders in his 500 year un-life.  But in time, The Entangled Trade forgot the defeat of that terrible battle, and forgot the nightmare that was a vampire king. The Goblins did not forget, however. 

It was in the year 869, 34 years after that last battle, when once again the war came to the forefront.  The King emerged again, in all his regalia, to lead a host of dwarves once more into battle against the dreaded Goblin hoard; they went to battle against the home-fort of this enemy.  One thousand Warriors besieged a stronghold of the goblins.  They were elated to see that merely 60 goblins and half as many war-trolls were all that held the stronghold.  They did not count on the sheer intelligence of The legendary Goblin king Snamoz Menacerun, known throughout civilization as “The Whirling Nation of Hell”.  It was none other than he who led the defense.   The entire field before the goblin fort had been turned into a great floodplain-but not for water.  Deep from within the bowels of the world, molten rock had been brought forth and stored in great cisterns above the fortress walls.   The goblins feigned retreat, and withdrew within their stronghold.   The dwarves pursued, but then found themselves flooded in a field of magma; hundreds died instantly.  The king, half-burned and half-melting, pursued to the gates of the fortress, where a silver arrow fired by one of the Goblins’ human thralls pierced him, leaving nothing but a smoking corpse behind.  The handful of dwarves still alive were soon picked off by the foul goblin archers until to the last they were slain.

The new, mortal kings who followed saw mixed results, with the tide finally turning during the reign of king Ber Diptome, hailed as the greatest king in ages, until he was slain in a duel by one of his own subjects.   

Despite his death, the Dwarves persevered. Victory even seemed in sight, but for the losses…for the dwarves had not founded a new settlement in nearly 900 years.   The resources of the mountainhomes began to show their scarcity, as mines grew deeper and iron less and less abundant.  There had been so few births among the Dwarves since the war began, and thousands had met their ends at goblin hands.   And still, no matter how many goblins were slain, it seemed 10 more emerged from whatever filthy cracks in the earth they came from. 

A war of attrition would not favor the Entangled Trade. 

It was in these times when a new ruler came to the throne—a young queen named Monom Kingdomssabre.  At a mere 15, she ascended to the highest seat in the land, uncontested ruler of more than 10,000 Dwarves and children.  So controversial was her coronation that it took almost 20 years to consolidate her rule.  But in that time, she had not stood idle. She had produced four heirs to the throne, she had fortified the mountainhomes, and had stockpiled resources  preparing for the trials to come; and she had a plan.   

It was in the year 1051 that the queen summoned one of her lower-ranking advisors, Iden Mineceiling, to her throne room.   

“I have a special task for you.”   At these words from his queen,  Iden nearly let out the inward groan that he felt deep within his anxious, Dwarven chest. 

“Deep in the grasslands of the south, our scouts have found a mountain named ’The Heavy Axe’.  Within this lonely mountain lies a heart of fire—a dormant volcano, and untold resources: Iron, gold, even sand and fire clay.  Resources our civilization desperately needs if we hope to endure against the Goblin menace. “

“But I have never led Dwarves in battle, my Queen,” Came Iden, forcing his voice to remain even and its tone respectful. "I do not know if I am qualified to lead such an important expedition.”

The queen held out her hand, into which an official-looking document was placed.  She unfurled it and then waved it towards Iden. “I have your personnel report here, and it tells me otherwise, Sir Iden.  You are one of our scribes.  You know Dwarven trade far better than most.  You are  an accomplished  mechanic, architect, and you have carried a hammer in our Royal Guard.  You have served in the mining corps.  You know how to lead Dwarves, and you know how to conduct diplomacy. “

“To be entirely candid with you, Sir Iden, There are many of my retainers who are more skilled, more experienced, and likely more capable than you as well.  Yet all of those others are also more indispensable than you.   And this royal commission which shall be granted to you is...greatly hazardous.    While I have allotted a generous number of supplies to you, the expedition must begin small.  My steward will provide you with a list of companions that have been selected for you, of which you may choose six to accompany you. “

“But that’s su—“Iden bit his tongue, before saying anything more.  Raising one’s voice in argument with the Queen, even if she were barely more than a child, was also suicide.   

“Sir Iden, we are aware of the dangers.  And yet, it is all that may be accomplished without the Goblins taking notice of our actions.  Moving in greater numbers would only alert them to our activity, and would provoke a renewed offensive.  A small group of settlers may have a hope of remaining undetected long enough to establish proper fortifications. “

The queen suddenly looked distracted, and shortly after her adviser approached and whispered something in here ear.   At this, she stood up.   As Iden followed suit as per proper protocol, the queen turned to leave her chambers.  But before departing, she looked over her shoulder at Iden, and said to him.  “You have your instructions.  You will leave as soon as possible, and we shall expect the first supplies this coming fall.”   

And with that, the course of Iden Mineceiling’s life was altered forever. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:38:18 pm by Ironlion »
Other monsters crowded around me, continually attacking.  I treated them politely, offering the edge of my razor-sharp sword; but the feast, I think, did not please them.