Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gearhead abandoned?  (Read 5500 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Gearhead abandoned?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:23 am »

Survival also has a few critters out there you can use it on for extra special loot. S'defined somewhere in the game's files, though I'll be buggered if I remember where. Something about a lobster shield?

And re: throwable weapons, especially THROW + RETURN -- you aren't limited to two. You can have as many in your inventory as you please, though the ideal is to have precisely as many as it takes to be able to throw out one every turn. Also don't forget magnet tokens, which can turn things like... I think sparkling lawn darts are in GH1, too? Regardless, the more damaging throwable weapons, into THROW RETURN ones. You can also mod in a plain ol' THROW RETURN addon-whatsit if you're feeling frosty :P

A nice stack of deathwings with some +DC addons or a bunch of magnet darts (or whatever GH1's best throwable is) can be nearly as good at sewer clearing as heavy energy weapons. You'll probably want a handful around regardless, just to have some extra dakka while your main weapons are cooling down.

Also worth noting, it's not exactly that weaker weapons give more XP -- it's that the lower your PV (basically, combined worth of equipment (at the least. Don't recall if inventory is included in the calculations)) in relation to what you're killing, the more XP you get. If a weapon is cheap and powerful, you'd still get just as much XP as with something that's just cheap.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:42:14 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 10:40:39 am »

That "weaker weapon gives more exp" thing is really neat, I like that it gives you a reason to not just slap on the best gear and go to town.

Maybe I will have to give martial arts combat a shot.

If you do, be careful because either at higher levels or some perk, you start making ki-like attacks... and one of them is a Flame punch/fireball.
Not good if you're doing a mission in a mansion made of wood...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 11:08:57 am »

Survival can get you a lobster shield, which is pretty good but I prefer the Androbot shield.  More importantly, you can get healing glands from dragon enemies, or free meat and sushi.  Also, you can use Science on defeated robot enemies.  Most of the time you'll get spare parts that can be used for General Repair, but if you use Science on a defeated Androbot, you can get something to install in a mecha that gives +1 to the mecha fighting skill.

Robotics can be extremely powerful at high levels too.  It's possible to build a sentient robot with stats in the high 20s to low 30s with enough skill.  That's far, far better than anyone you can hire.  Just build a robot using 8 mecha welding kits, a level 10 targeting computer and level 10 sensor.  There are probably better combinations but that works well for me.

Deathwings are good throwing weapons because they're poisonous.  But the best weapon for cleaning out sewers is the Toxin Grenade.

PV is composed of equipment, inventory, and installed cyberware.  If you go the cyberware route, you'll get a lot less xp.  Spirituality is generally better, since you can get a lot of free xp from shrines, and there's a shrine quest that gives bonuses to stats.

One of the best ways to get experience is to raise your Knowledge score really high, and then use the GARU serum.  The GARU serum reduces your Knowledge and Charm, and increases your Body, Reflexes, and Speed.  If you have high combat skills, you can drop all of your gear and punch mecha to death. 

If you get the Badass trait, your combat skills improve when you're in a bad mood, so you don't have to worry too much about getting expensive food and the like.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 12:37:04 pm »

What I always liked to do was grab something with a little punch/piercing ability and just aim for the head in GH1's early game.  ...I never got out of the early game, but I'm moderately certain that's just because I have gaming ADD.

Like a hunting rifle, or something.  Really helpful against armored things like the Iron Monkies, compared to like, the shotgun I took to them once.

blazing glory

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 02:17:10 pm »

I always have 2 sets of armor and weapons,my badass set which I use for quest's and such,and my wimpy set (composed of stuff like basball caps and leather jackets) which I use for running around dungeons and killing stuff,I don't know if using repair on your mecha is more effecient but fighting giant toads underground in a basball hat works for me,well I'm off to create a gearhead questions thread!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

You will be perpetually unhappy. I'm not sure how to fix that, but it doesn't seem to effect much anyway.

Be Sociable and chat with anything and everything you meet in town. It cheers you up quickly and the happiness is relatively slow to fade.

blazing glory

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »

You will be perpetually unhappy. I'm not sure how to fix that, but it doesn't seem to effect much anyway.

the happiness is relatively slow to fade.

Unless you 'die' then you are unhappy once again
Pages: 1 2 [3]