Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visa questions  (Read 718 times)

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Visa questions
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:27 am »

Hey guys, I've got a volunteer placement in an American charity for about a year. I will be temporarily changing residence there. As a Canadian citizen, I was wondering if anybody knew what type of visa or lack thereof was required to cross the border and live in the USA for this period of time.  I have looked at the web sites of a ton of different government web sites, but none of them seem to apply to me. So I'm asking you. What sort of paperwork will I need to cross the border?
Thanks,
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Visa questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:50:33 am »

Canadian citizens are allowed to enter and remain in the USA for a period of six months without a visa, but since you need to stay for a year and will be living here you'll probably need to apply for either a temporary residence visa or an employment visa, depending upon how this charity is counted by the system. Either way, you should ask the charity to sponsor your visa request, or you're going to have a hard time getting it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:07 am »

Would that fall under work visa?
Thanks mate, you've done a bundle. An absolute bundle has absolutely been done by you.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 09:06:54 am »

Yes, employment visa=work visa. I'm surprised you even have questions about this though, generally when you sign up with a group that requires visa application they provide the methodology.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.