Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rate my 3D metroid model.  (Read 961 times)

BladeMan.EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • Battle Routine, Set!
    • View Profile
Rate my 3D metroid model.
« on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:54 pm »

I've been looking into how to program games, so I ordered a book off of Amazon.com. Along with several other useful programs and source code for the projects in the book, the CD ROM had a copy of some 3D rendering software called Anim8or.

I've been practicing using that, and combined with some experience making lego stop motion videos, I plan on making Metroid Fusion into an animated movie. I would've started with Zero Mission if I ever played it/had the money to get a copy of it.

This was my last attempt at making a model of a metroid.

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." Ancient Hero, LoZ: TP
Christian and unashamed!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my 3D metroid model.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »

Not bad.  Probably would look better on a black background or with better lighting.  Totally recognizable though.  I could even hear its chirping noise in my head...
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:34 pm »

Better geometry than 90% of stuff I'd expect for someone as new as you, which granted isn't saying that much. Looks a bit dark, but that's probably just the lighting. If yere gona us this for a game, I'd say it's a bit high polly, and if you'r gonna use it for a movie, i'd really recommend looking into doing some more volumetric stuff with the trasparent parts as well as messing around with index of refraction, and maybe even enable caustics depending on what software you're using!

(This is actually a very good rating, I'm just awfully critical when it comes to 3d stuff. )
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:35:09 pm »

Much better and further than me. I only have a half-assed half-done airship I've yet to continue, and even so, I haven't gotten to coloring it in and giving it material properties (outside of making the standard grey shinier in certain parts for rendering/sharing reasons).

BladeMan.EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • Battle Routine, Set!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:32 am »

Update: Fusion seems like a weird place to start, and I'm too broke to get a copy of zero mission ATM, so the first movie is going to be Metroid Prime. Zero Mission will be a prequel.

And my older brother will be helping with the story.
"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." Ancient Hero, LoZ: TP
Christian and unashamed!

BladeMan.EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • Battle Routine, Set!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:33:42 am »

high polly, more volumetric stuff, index of refraction, enable caustics...

???

... *looks up manuel*
Christian and unashamed!