Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two Questions Regarding Races and Immigrants/Immigration  (Read 906 times)

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two Questions Regarding Races and Immigrants/Immigration
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:09:54 am »

Hello all!

I have been trying out this mod for a few days (mainly the Warlocks) and I had two questions that I hope I can get answers to.

1) Which races have limited/no Immigration?

From what I could tell thus far:

Warlocks - Two Waves of Immigrants, after that you are alone (but you have methods of making skeletons, ghouls, etc.)

Hermit - No "Immigrants". Just a single guy.

2) Is it possible to limit the number of waves (as in the case of the Warlocks) to just two actual waves with those races that might have continuous immigration? I was curious about having a Town/Castle/Civilization start with a very limited number of people and then expanding from within.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Two Questions Regarding Races and Immigrants/Immigration
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:26 am »

Its only warlocks and hermit with limited migrants.

For all other races you can simply use the init setting for population cap, and set it very low. It will stop migrant waves from spawning, as long as you stay below your limit, with the exception of the first 2 waves.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:23:41 pm »

The best way I found to limit population from imigration is to set the population cap to 0.

Then, if you want to play with the lowest population possible, make as little stuff as possible to limit wealth.

I personally like to set my cap around 40-50, because it is enough population to account for most jobs, with a small military, without impacting too hard on the frame rate.

Do note that the "population cap" is only for the migrants, and babies growing up can shoot you past that limit over the years.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:46:36 pm »

Thank you! That actually really helps. It's not that I mind the immigration that much, but when you cannot prepare yourself for a sudden spike in population (like I had just now, with a immigration wave of I think almost 30 people) planning gets a tad... hard.

I will have to try a game with 0 Pop, and see if I can survive and propser.

Cheers again.