Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Laptop crashing, could use help finding diagnosis tools and/or help fixing it  (Read 922 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Hey, so my laptop keeps crashing, and I've done what I remember from my classes; checking event viewer, checking temps, checked for viruses and cleaning the machine, but I'm not finding anything.

It makes a "wheeeeee" sound that also is heard when I shut off my machine by holding down the power button and it just stays turned off except I can turn it back on using the finger swipe. It also acts as if I tried booting the system before and I get the "Windows didn't boot up successfully. What do?" and the options are safe mode, etc.

It also is almost impossible to reliably replicate it. Event viewer only displays things after the system boots up, and half of them show up on a normal bootup sequence. Temps are running between 44-50 C and I have a cooling pad keeping it in check.

Last time it happened, I booted it up and it crashed after about 10 minutes of use. It started yesterday and crashed continuously for 8 times after I fired a shotgun in payday 2 into the head of a cloaker, and would cash every 10 minutes or so afterwards.

I'm asking, besides event viewer, what can I look at to find anything about what can be going on during these crashes that causes the system to just eat s*** every now and then? Or if any of the description things above clicks for any of you.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Try... WhoCrashed? I think is it. Can get it here. Is the one I've got on this computer, anyway. S'probably others like it, just a program to give you a bit more information on what caused stuff to crash. May or may not help, but it's probably worth a try, at the least.

E: Ah, and might be worth running scandisk if you haven't already. Doesn't really sound like it'd be a drive issue, but it only occasionally hurts to check.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:39:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WhoCrashed only seems to notice the BSOD errors. THis is full on blackout. Still unsure...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Full-on blackout? So, the power just cuts off randomly? Sounds like there's some serious hardware issues going on. Even back with my shoddy laptop, when a crash was induced through a short-circuiting wire, it was through a BSOD.
I had it repaired often... Any idea what I would look for?