Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do armies pass through your fort if it's on the way to their destination?  (Read 902 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or do they just move around the world map and never actually interact with your fort?

Would it be possible to make a world map with a chokepoint, then put a fort there, thereby seeing all the armies going back and forth to fight?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

EldritchVoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do armies pass through your fort if it's on the way to their destination?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:48 am »

I'd think that armies would not travel through your fort unless it is their target, as generally marching your army through another empire/nation's land without permission is considered an act of war or at least strains diplomatic relationships irl, and I doubt it would be much different here.

It would be interesting, however, to see them move through your fort, and perhaps at times provide food and shelter for the armies of your civilization. The need to fulfill mandates for weapons, armor, and, when siege weapons are used in siege weapons, siege weapon parts and ammunition from the capital itself to supply your civilization's armies would also be interesting.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »

When you embark I believe the whole world level tile (i.e. the 16*16 tile are where you select your normal 3*3 or 4*4 fortress) becomes accessible to other civs, if the embark is a "water" tile and that tile is adjacent to a "land" tile the civ has access to. Given that armies march on the world map, I would guess they can just pass beside your embark unless it's 16*16 (and your fortress is FPS dead so it won't happen anyway).
We can't control features smaller than a world level tile in world generation, so it requires work to create a choke point where a normal size embark would block off access, but I suspect the armies still marches by without interacting.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 03:17:14 am »

I've heard that they can appear on your embark for a second before disappearing. People call them "hello-goodbye" sieges.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:27:43 am »

Nope. Hello/goodbye sieges are actually directed at the fortress, at least some of them, according to Legends Mode. I've had hello/goodbye sieges appearing when embarked in dead end locations where there's nothing to pass through to (but haven't checked those against Legends Mode).