Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven 3d printer?  (Read 990 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Dwarven 3d printer?
« on: January 29, 2020, 01:20:30 pm »

Would it even be possible to build one (I'd imagine from water and magma)? If so, how would we make it to create appropriately shaped layers?
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven 3d printer?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 01:28:14 pm »

You can build a casting apparatus using a 3 Z-level cast of sorts. It's preferable to make this square.

Or if you pump magma and water to the surface, you can build a cast out of walls, fill it with magma, and pour water on top.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 01:44:33 pm »

Yeah, but it's more like casting metal. I'm talking about making something that works like a regular 3d printer.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 03:45:55 pm »

I suppose it's theoretically possible to make a suspended array of hatches/floodgates/drawbridges and constructed channels that would drop lava or water at defined points onto the ground below, possibly even in an automated fashion. I think such a thing would be ridiculously complex though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 05:18:00 pm »

I sort of did, once. However, the "nozzles" kept gummed up with obsidian every few cycles, even though I waited a bit between the magma and the water phases, and that required the dismantling of the complete bridge, as the obsidian enclosed it, so even if it was dug away, there was an obsidian floor beneath the bridge.

My device was intended to build a wall as close to the cavern edge as possible, so it was a 1*X wall builder. The cavern was of a silly height (don't remember, but something like 20-50 Z levels).