Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding the balrog  (Read 2198 times)

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
finding the balrog
« on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:00 am »

okay, i was bored at work again and began pondering....
with the new z-axis coming in the next version will you have to dig DOWN to find the evil in the deep or will you still unleash h*ll if you just dig far enough to the right?
cause of unexplainable mischief

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: finding the balrog
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:22:00 am »

'Deep' wont always be to the right anymore. With the new varied mountains, sometimes you will start with other facings, and no more regular cliff walls.

Also, the demons live in the mountains, so if you start in a non-mountain area, will there still be a too deep demon?

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:54:00 am »

somehow i just can't imagine a group of dwarves stopping in the middle of a flowery meadow, batting the butterflies from their noses and stating:
"Right, this looks like a good place to dig!"
cause of unexplainable mischief

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wood Gnome:
<STRONG>somehow i just can't imagine a group of dwarves stopping in the middle of a flowery meadow, batting the butterflies from their noses and stating:
"Right, this looks like a good place to dig!"</STRONG>

Oh please, King Under the Mountain! Send us to the Frostbitten Peaks! Send us to the Desert of Deadly Dehydration! Send us to the Balrog-Elephant Volcano of Bloody Dismemberment! ANYTHING BUT THE FLOWERY MEADOW!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

Hmmm building your fort under a elf hippie grove and use them as a frontline defence. And if they fail just pump up some lava/magma.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Jothki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

Wide lava floods probably won't be feasible in the new version, you'd probably only be able to get a moat at best, if the magma doesn't just immediately harden.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

How about climbing to the top of the mountain and sending rocks rolling at those pesky goblins.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>How about climbing to the top of the mountain and sending rocks rolling at those pesky goblins.</STRONG>

Contrary to what most historians believe, the game of bowling is actually representative of the fearless battles between dwarves and goblins in and around the year 1050. Dwarves normally fought these battles by hurling large rocks off of the mountainside at groups of goblins, sometimes sending many into the river a short distance off.

The game of bowling was used as training for all of the dwarf children, in preparation for the next large battle.

[ July 20, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

Hey, that reminds me of Rip VanWinkel - he came across a bunch of dwarves playing ninepins in the mountains.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »

I've always wondered about Rip VanWinkle and Dwarf Fortress: There's got to be a connection, there.  Or at least an Easter Egg.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

If i didn't get it all wrong looking at those movies. There are many layers. So to deep is still probably "to deep" even if you start with your feets on a medow there is probably rock under neith somewhere that can be dug to deep. Might be wrong, as proven on occasion.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?