Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ninja hippos!  (Read 2398 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ninja hippos!
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:24:11 pm »

Spring has arrived on the calendar.
Zulban onulstakud, Brewer cancels Rest: Interrupted by Hippo. x1350
Melbil Atisgeshud, Animal Trainer cancels Construct rock Blocks: Hunting vermin for food.
Zulban onulstakud, Brewer cancels Rest: Interrupted by Hippo. x777
Rih Zefondalzat, Engraver cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible.
Zulban onulstakud, Brewer cancels Rest: Interrupted by Hippo. x1502
Zon Zonnunok, Peasant cancels Construct rock Blocks: Hunting vermin for food.
Zulban onulstakud, Brewer cancels Rest: Interrupted by Hippo. x371

Poor old Zulban is in bed, the result of a prior encounter with hippos, of the kind that killed all previous hapless (and, truth be told, ill-advised) hippo-hunters as well as some innocent bystanders.  None of the 37 hippos (eight of them now being named ones) nor even the 40 hippo calves (oh dear...) are currently anywhere in the vicinity of (within or at the surface) his underground and indoors bedroom (the door of which haulers and other workers regularly pass along the corridor, with nary a mutter about honking great critters lurking in the shadows).  Thus I surmise that an elite cadre of ninja hippos is going out of its way to sneak in and annoy Zulban in his recuperative sleep.  So far [does quick mental calculation... redos calculation...  oooh...] that's a nice round 4000 times in this season.  (Actually, it's still 3rd Granite, 303, Early Spring!)  Either that or he's having nightmares.

Still, at least it isn't one of the [counts] 106 fish (Carp, Tigerfish, Milkfish, Stingray) that inhabit the river (which has also claimed some incautious victims, at one point the waters being almost completely tainted with blood), and I've sealed the Fire Imps up. The warthogs and gazelle on the map seem to be suffering from both amphibious and fishy attacks, and right now I'm not in a position to risk another ad-hoc hunter...

Meanwhile, I continue my undermining of the underground lava-pool, in preparation for doing something 'interesting' with it, though my original plans to support the otherwise disconnected and isolated 'pot' of magma (and imps) upon a tower of supports and then cause the whole mass to cascade into the depths has been dealt a blow by an incautious channelling breaching a wall a level below and forcing some quick wall construction and probable abandonment of the original severing plan.  Instead I shall probably see if the draining of a finite quantity of magma shall force the imps within to similarly take to the air for a temporary trip, courtesy of the Great God of Gravity, and gain an insight as to whether they are any good at high-diving.

(Yes, I'm just playing, now.  Immigration continues apace, mysteriously still greater than the accumulated mortality from enraged fauna, drowning, starvation and injuries sustained from an outbreak of berserk moods) but the imminent explosion of Hippopotamidae population makes this place a little too challenging unless I can get my army of planters doing as well as they have the potential for and afford to isolate myself for a while, meanwhile, I plan a magma explosion of my own...)

((That last line keeps rising, now we're on "Zulban onulstakud, Brewer cancels Rest: Interrupted by Hippo. x1183" and rising every time I view the Announcements (now 4th Granite), must be nightmares ::).  In fact, reached "x2742" before a notice that I had run out of barrels into which I might brew a drink and x1247 since then, even with the universe on pause for most of the time I was writing this little missive.))

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja hippos!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 11:30:38 pm »

Best secret adition to the game ever.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:47:19 pm »

Unbuild his bed.  This has been reported before, and that's the workaround.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:56 pm »

Unbuild his bed.  This has been reported before, and that's the workaround.
Might do.  I just find it funny (and an excuse to wax semi-lyrical), rather than something worthy of the Bugs board  Got a nice chain of x5698 nightmares at one point before someone else went hunting vermin for food instead of gathering plants.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 05:29:31 am »

You get 12 meat from a hippo. I've never seen one but building cage traps in preparation to their assault might be a good idea

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:31:36 pm »

I get this too.  I got a hunter lying with a major headwound in the woods outside my walls that spams interrupted by horse every tick.  Nobody will come to rescue him so I think what is happening is that he's trying to make it to the barracks himself (as none of his wounds prevent movement) but some error is causing him to cancel his movement every tick and spam the log.

He has 2 horse foals as pets(they saved his life from the wild horse) but them going away does not stop the spam.  I also know it was a horse that wounded him.

Maybe they are suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome?

EDIT:  I just noticed something else.  He has been "Enraged at all enemies" ever since he's been wounded.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:37:43 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 04:21:23 pm »

77 hippos and 106 large fish?  What kind of house of horrors are you building?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:21 am »

Get a squad of marksdwarve, set them to attck wildlife but not chase enemies and station them next to the river. Should kill a good number of hippos and large fish.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

ArdentPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 01:04:01 pm »

Talk about ninja hippos: I had a fort on a major river, totally full of hippos. I also had a well... and due to an accident while making it and having to pump out the bottom two levels of my fortress after accidentally flooding them (don't ask), I forgot to put a grate in the well inlet.

The well was on the living quarters level.

I started getting "Urist McDwarf cancels sleep: interrupted by Hippo." I thought, "That can't be right."

And then I found hippos in the living quarters!

It was chaos, and the worst part was that I couldn't drain the passage to install a grate. I had a few marksdwarfs permanently stationed on the river's bank to keep that area clear of hippos, because once they got inside, they were more than a match for my still-training military. Wrestling hippos is pretty hard, apparently.

Anyway, only ninja hippos could get up a WELL. I mean, have you seen hippos? How big do dwarfs make their wells?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:18 pm »

Anyway, only ninja hippos could get up a WELL. I mean, have you seen hippos? How big do dwarfs make their wells?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO