Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting Fortress Mode Dragons to Haul Stuff  (Read 1718 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Getting Fortress Mode Dragons to Haul Stuff
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:41:42 pm »

So I've had this idea for a mod for a while of doing a prehistory of the DF universe, where all the megabeasts roam the earth as civilizations and fight even bigger megabeasts. I have no experience modding, and I've hit a snag.

Here's what I'm working with right now.

Spoiler: Dragon Creature Entry (click to show/hide)

I've added the [DRAGON_QUADRUPED] body part so that they can use their front claws to grasp things and not have donkeys and mules do the same.

When I embark with them in fortress mode, they're unable to haul things. For example, I set up a food stockpile, they pick up the barrels from the wagon, and then they don't know what to do with them. They mill about carrying the barrels and never set them down. This would, naturally, be an obstacle for playing them in fortress mode.

I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Bah, I guess a limb can't have both [GRASP] and [STANCE]. Is there any way to have a creature walk around on four limbs but be able to use tools with at least two of them?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:52:01 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Fortress Mode Dragons to Haul Stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:51:01 pm »

Carry things around in their mouth?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:55:46 am »

Carry things around in their mouth?
Oooh! And their tail too! Don't forget the tails! ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 10:50:41 am »

Why not just have them strap the stuff to their backs? They're big and strong enough for it, and that way leaves all the pointy ends available for dealing damage.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 02:42:32 pm »

Tail's a good idea. Mouth's a good idea, too, at least for hauling, but I'd rather not use it, because I have it for Hydras. I mean, those seven heads have to be useful for something!

I sort of want the dragons to wield weapons and tools that an intelligent, reptilian, fire-breathing lizard might develop for itself, so putting the [GRASP] tag on their back to haul things might lead to interesting results. Like wielding swords with their backs.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »

Creatures don't actually have to have 2 grasps to function. My cave elephants just have their trunk, and are fine as long as i don't tell them to wield a shield with their sword.