Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: We're on Red Alert, comrade. Thrice.  (Read 12186 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: We're on Red Alert, comrade. Thrice.
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:34 pm »

It's one of those strange story quirks. In RA1, Einstein developed a chronosphere which could go back in time years before what took place in that game.

In RA2, his chronosphere could only move matter... and it's strange that the Russians don't know about it because the chronosphere had already existed for so long. Not to mention that Einstein was already 50+ in RA1, and he actually looked younger in RA2.

In Yuri's Revenge, his chronosphere was modified into a time machine. Presumably back into the original configuration?

Let's not get started with RA3 which is all over the place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2008, 10:25:45 pm »

Actually I believe the Chronosphere could always time travel except it was either demonstrated oddly (as such with the Chrono-infantry) or not used for such. Hardly matters much anyhow.

To explain demonstrated oddly... the Chronoknights (or whatever they were called) could make units, buildings, and vehicles simply never exist. It however never backfired and didn't affect the current time steam. (of course I could be confused)

Perhaps the crazyness in RA3 is caused by the Paradox storms... (Paradox rising campaign for the first Red Alert makes a lot more sense now)

I just know one of the Red Alerts is going to bring the Paradox storms into this! Though I think the Paradox storms are actually supposed to represent the possibility that time was rewritten to be malicious to those in the current time stream. I mean just imagine the temporal anomoly of having the Chronosphere erase itself!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2008, 11:44:48 pm »

Chrono troopers. I always understood that they didn't erase the enemies from existence, they merely moved them someplace else. Like say, in the middle of the ocean.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2008, 07:45:04 am »

Pretty sure the manual said they just stop things from ever having existed... hence the whole "target is incapacitated until they're done making it vanish" thing.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2008, 02:38:51 am »

Oooh... well, you know me. Mr-Never-Reads-Instruction-Manuals. Living on the edge.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2008, 06:13:29 pm »

Hah.  Back in my day, manuals were worth reading.  Me and friends would trade manuals to read instead of the actual games.  An' lick t'road clean wi' tongue
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2008, 06:51:49 pm »

On that note. The last game I bought that actually had a good manual was Empire Earth 1. Which is another serious that has run into the ground recently, EE1 was good and quite original with the hundreds of units you could build. EE2 expanded on that, adding in better graphics but reduced some of the units down. It also introduced new (although not innovating) game play features. Finally with EE3 they go and take out everything that made the first two games great, they cut the epochs down from 15 to 5, expanded on the whole territories thing(which was already done to death with other RTS's) and thoroughly murder my favorite RTS.  >:(

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2008, 02:37:52 am »

Welcome to video gaming. Destroying our favorite serries, it's what the companies do.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2008, 02:41:21 pm »

Another odd thing is that in both ra2 and 3 there are ww2 monuments despite ww2 never haven taken place in the ra universe.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 29, 2008, 03:16:37 pm »

Another odd thing is that in both ra2 and 3 there are ww2 monuments despite ww2 never haven taken place in the ra universe.

Well, whenever you see something like that... The Chronosphere did it

I mean, let us not forget the Dinosaur Genocide. The Chronosphere does not produce stable time loops

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 29, 2008, 07:56:51 pm »

Well, in RA2, WW2 did take place, it was just a war between the USSR and the Allies, and not the Allies versus the Axis. RA2 took place after the USSR was defeated in this 'new' WW2, and the Allied powers established a puppet communist government.

What the Allied powers didn't realize was that said puppet also wanted to take over the world, and had access to the mind control tech that can let him do it. So when the USSR launched its military invasion in the 1960's, the USA couldn't do much.

RA1, in contrast, took place in the 1940's.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2008, 03:42:45 am »

Doesn't explain the fact that the Arizona Memorial looks exactly the same as if it was built after the regular WWII. The ship had been planned to stop military use a few years before RA1 took place(1965 iirc) RA2 takes place arround 1980 and RA3 tosses all canon out of the window in favor of some more commando's with tits. Compare the original Volkov with Natasha... One is a gatling cannon wielding cyborg with a robotic dog that can eat tanks and the other is a random chick in a leather bikini and a sniper rifle.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2008, 11:36:31 am »

Doesn't explain the fact that the Arizona Memorial looks exactly the same as if it was built after the regular WWII. The ship had been planned to stop military use a few years before RA1 took place(1965 iirc) RA2 takes place arround 1980 and RA3 tosses all canon out of the window in favor of some more commando's with tits. Compare the original Volkov with Natasha... One is a gatling cannon wielding cyborg with a robotic dog that can eat tanks and the other is a random chick in a leather bikini and a sniper rifle.

The Chronosphere did it

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2008, 04:44:44 pm »

No. Don't blame the chronoshpere.

IT WAS EA!
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]