Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waterwheel power!  (Read 1612 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Waterwheel power!
« on: August 23, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

I've touched upon it before - waterwheels powering things. Mills are one example, but smelters, forges, smithies, elevators, pumps and what have you might also benefit greatly from them.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterwheel power!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

indeed, we could make dwarfen perpetual motion machines by having a waterwheel power a pump that takes water from the base of the wheel to the top of the wheel!

since there are currently no billows, i dont think it would help forging as much as it could.  but pumps are certainly a nice addition to the existing mills.

maybe traps will someday have to be powered.  they can be spring or tension powered, and require resetting from time to time.  or they can be built with water driven motors such that our serrated disks are continuously spinning and shredding!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>indeed, we could make dwarfen perpetual motion machines by having a waterwheel power a pump that takes water from the base of the wheel to the top of the wheel!</STRONG>

I imagine Toady would code in Newton's laws of physics, though.   ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

oh, i should have guessed you were one of those "conservation of energy" pureists.  all in love with your so-called-laws of thermodynamics.  you just keep that in mind when the revolution comes, and im enjoying free energy from my overbalanced wheel.  whos going to have their back against the wall then, huh?

;)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

It'd be pretty easy to prevent perpetual motion by just requiring 2 units of flow to pump 1 unit, or something along those lines.

Also, be careful what you wish for, since having a power source probably means that a lot of heavy machinery that currently is self-powered, would then require external power.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>Also, be careful what you wish for, since having a power source probably means that a lot of heavy machinery that currently is self-powered, would then require external power.</STRONG>

Like all animals?  That currently don't require food...

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

Like all animals?  That currently don't require food...</STRONG>

Indeed! And when you need mechanical parts like belts and rods and axes transferring power to wherever you need it (with power being diminished for every step of the way) you'll get a whole new challenge in laying out your fortress.