Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: PC Chemotherapy, or Adbots Galore  (Read 7736 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: PC Chemotherapy, or Adbots Galore
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 02:36:35 pm »

Vundo creates copies of itself under a random directory, under a random name, and whenever it finds that it has been deleted, it uses one of the other copies and continues making more of itself.

In this way, deleting a single file does not work. Vundo Fix works for some people, but not everyone.

I suppose using a combination of spybot and shredder might work, but you can never be sure with Vundo.  :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 03:02:36 pm »

Running an OS as an alternative of just booting into Windows could certainly help, then. You'd be able, hopefully, to search the hard drive for random DLLs (or whatever) which are new, even if they DO show up in random directories.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »

Running an OS as an alternative of just booting into Windows could certainly help, then. You'd be able, hopefully, to search the hard drive for random DLLs (or whatever) which are new, even if they DO show up in random directories.
Last I had Vundo, it did some witchery and made it appear as if the DLLs (and various files) were crucial windows components, and had been added at a earlier date.  :-X

In older versions of Vundo, however, it doesnt do that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »

Format and then make a ghost of your fresh install, so you don't have to mess around with drivers and stuff next time you do it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 06:33:57 pm »

My Vundo appears to be gone.  One of the anti-spyware programs I tried on it caused the computer to go to the Reboot in Safe Mode/Last Known Good Configuration/Yadayadayada screen, and I went to last known good configuration, and the infected dll was recognized as not being part of windows and deleted.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3]