Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Trapped  (Read 1679 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trapped
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 11:36:32 am »

Hi!

Build a windmill. If THAT gets dragged into the ocean and drowns, then your game has deeper problems than dwarves that think they can breathe water and can't.

I simply can't resist:

THE STRAY WINDMILL (TAME) CANCELS GENERATE ENERGY: DANGEROUS TERRAIN.
THE STRAY WINDMILL (TAME) HAS DROWNED.

Deathworks

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 04:06:54 pm »

While this is a good design, and that is how I planned mine originally, I found that I had an aquifer directly below the opening level. Obviously, this is no longer an option.

And I value my mills, so I thought more like this:

WINDMILL, PUMP OPERATOR HAS DROWNED

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 04:12:45 pm »

So I guess when you butcher windmills, you get the logs back you used to construct them.

Windmill skin
Windmill fat [7]
Windmill chunks [20]
Windmill meat [20]
Windmill bones[20]
Windmill skull
Larch logs [4]
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 07:23:37 pm »

While this is a good design, and that is how I planned mine originally, I found that I had an aquifer directly below the opening level. Obviously, this is no longer an option.

And I value my mills, so I thought more like this:

WINDMILL, PUMP OPERATOR HAS DROWNED

In that case you have a source of fresh water already, so the whole thing is unnecessary.
This is to make me recognizable.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 08:24:51 pm »

In an area with salt water, all aquifiers are salt water.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 10:02:10 am »

So, I dont want to flood this board with all my new threads, so I will just post my question here, how deadly are magma falls?

And how can I get my miner to run away from the magma faster?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 10:07:16 am »

Open channels to magma by digging a channel from above the magma transfer tunnel - don't just use the dig designation.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 04:50:04 pm »

Nice sewer tunnels are like :
Code: [Select]
topview:
XXXXXXXXXX
~XXXXXX+++
~~#~~~~+~~
~XX+++++XX
XXXXXXXXXX

sideview:
X  X
XX~X

x=wall ~=water +=floor
With mainenance access/escape pathway including a bridge and a grate.
I don't usually bother with drainage mechanisms, but a floodgate linked and some pumps linked to work should suffice.
The wellshafts/exists/access wells are naturately incomplete without a winding staircase (using ramps). :)
Nicer tunnels can be dug offcourse, but take a lot of room.

I still plan to create a multilevel dungeon with leveroperated grates, hatches and floodgates. One level fresh water access, the level below: waste disposal.

Also a Windaria type fortress appeals to me greatly.

It seems that stagnant water generates miasma: I have a small fort wich had no flowing source of water, so I cut some corners and used buckets to fill the ruidimentary well shaft from the evaporating ponds outside. (normally, the dwarven way is to redivert the pools to a smoothed underground cistern.
ehm. I had exceptional periods of miasma exploding out of the wellshaft into the fortressproper, without any visible source. (there were plenty of eruptions from the buthchers' and the catlover's chambers, but these could be accounted for by rotten items.)
The water never became murky though, even when I started to use it as a dumping place for the other smelly stuff.

Oh, ahem, the point was: you also need buckets to give water to sick dwarves, the INTERRUPT message states this, but you never know, you could have ignored it.
Dwarves cannot get at water below a level of 4, also when wading through partially filled water tiles (or ramps!) they panic because of dangerous terrain.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Thor2axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 06:43:16 pm »

I think it was the low level of water, but alas, I save scummed my way around that and into much more trouble.

I wanted magma, because its fun, and there was a shitload of hematite around. and the best concievable way was to go through a magma fall. I'm still not quite sure why happed, but magma started to overflow into my fortress. Unluckily, this happened to cut off my bauxite room, and had no steel yet, so I was screwed. But, I took the dwarfy way out, and made an escape tunnel. (Oh, at the time I was being seiged by gobbos)
My dwarves loved to party, more than I knew they could, and so I built destroyed all my tables and statues, and built one meeting hall table at the end of the tunnel to the 'safe room'. Naturally, everyone went right away as I let the goblins in. They spent enough time killing one kid (no one cares about them anyway) that they all burned alive. Or were sent running.

I abandoned, as I would eventually burn myself, and didnt feel like waiting.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 07:23:55 pm »

you should have continued with a surface fortress! :D

digging deeper and avoiding the now magmafilled halls of yore.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 [2]