Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Buggiest Map  (Read 2871 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Buggiest Map
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:57 am »

There are much buggier maps though; any of the ones that through modding have "gotten their wires crossed". The heights of entertainment are limitless, such as mine, with random monsters becoming civilizations and joining them. So I get a siege with two goblins and a hoard of slime.
 A world made out of cheese (hopefully melt-able) would be a quite awesome. You could have carvings of cheese upon cheese walls, built with cheese tools. I think it would be possible with sufficient work. Set almost every rock layer to be a cheese, and drop a cheese (that may be used for building or smelted into edible cheese). Then say that this cheese may be farmed on, acts as flux, resists magma when built, but still melts when you pour magma on it (like ice). So, who's up for the project of the ultimate cheese(s)?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 09:40:36 am »

That's not "buggy", that's "modding". Big difference. How did the monsters joining civilizations come about, btw?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:25 am »

Aw, but it gets so much more interesting with modding. And Wizard Fortress was mentioned, and that counts as modding. Besides, being as two parts mentioned in that idea are "impossible", I am fairly sure there would be bugs.

I am not actually sure. There were a few errors in the error log and I was using quite a few mods piled together. I had semi-spammed the Dig Deeper and Civ Forge threads for an answer, so details are there. There were slimes and woodkin in a dark towers and forest retreats, with classes, and clothing on load which they immediately dropped. However, I found that a Ranger Green Slime was correspondingly stronger than a Farmer Green Slime. And the legendary Spearman Green Slime was quite strong indeed.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »

And Wizard Fortress was mentioned, and that counts as modding.
Not really.  Wizard Fortress is the game you get if the earliest 3D version is downloaded over the latest 2D version.  No modding.  You should look up the video on the DFMA.  Should be among the first results.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 09:43:17 pm »

so, essentially the same thing.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 10:08:19 pm »

so, essentially the same thing.
A tile of natural ground on the surface that flashes between just about every gem matgloss is not possible through modding, unless you actually hack DF.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 10:16:11 pm »

No, what he did and what you did. Everything was all screwy.  But wizard fortress must have been pretty Screwed up.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »

No.  This is Wizard Fortress:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-56-wizardfortress

Very different.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 10:30:12 pm »

What. The.  :o

:o  :o  :o  :o  :(  :-\  :-\  :'(  :'(  :'(  ???  :o

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 11:36:58 pm »

Yup.  Told you it was crazy.
Just so I remember

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:08 am »

We have a problem, there is no wiki article just for this. The article for Wizard includes a bit, but not the full glory. Could someone who has experience with this make an article explaining how to do it/how it happens specifically and the specific results?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 05:51:40 am »

I swear I saw a flash of magma in one of those flashing piles.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 05:31:21 pm »

So what did we learn here, kids?
Just so I remember

Decanter

• Bay Watcher
  • Goliath online.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 06:27:36 pm »

Wow. Wow, o lord Armuk. Looking at Wizard Fortress is like looking through the eyes of a dwarf who has eaten too many of the strange mushrooms he got from trading with the elves.

Were there actually wizards there? Or was that just the name?

Another interestingly bugged map is: Copperwinds, the map with the tiny, tiny ocean. CobaltKobold was kind enough to show it to me. Find it:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-10353-thetinyocean

Sadly we do not have the world-gen-parameters to make copperwinds - BUT we do have another such small ocean in a world by Grimlocke. Info can be found: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36246.15

Of course small oceans and seas are not necessarily bugs. I mean, consider lake Chad and the Aral sea.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:40:43 pm by Decanter »
Pages: 1 [2]