Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: adamantine quality items costing negative amount??  (Read 746 times)

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
adamantine quality items costing negative amount??
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:00:04 am »

Hello my fellow dwarves, humans and even elves
I have played this game for around 6 months or so and i wanted to try to do some item moddings last day. I made completely new common stone that should be on layers like Diorite or marble. it was supposed to be melted on bars and that it would have 550% damage and block percent. I made that to help me in dwarf mode and adventure mode later because im too impatient to build big fortress (usually i get tired after one or two years) and to help me kill epic wrestler giant in adventure mode.
My new epic metal also had value of 600.
but when i tried to start new fortress i noticed that I had these epic metal weapons and armors availavable when i was customizing my first 7 dwarves and buying booze. strange thing is that weapons costed all 4000 but anvil and plate mail costed -24651 (around that) and i could actually get infinite amount of goods by buying few anvils and plate mails. And it also replaced former steel (or was it iron) weapons in that preparation screen

how is that. what did i do wrong??

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: adamantine quality items costing negative amount??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:16:13 am »

I imagine you made it cost too much so the numbers rolled over. Lower the base value and it should fix that.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:21:09 am »

And note that Metal_Pref tag forces dwarves to embark with the best metal available to them. This supermetal is as common as iron and is much better, so they had it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:22 am »

Thanks for quick answers. im gonna try to fix that even though my little adventure and fortress mode "cheat" worked better than i even imagined  :P

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:15:15 am »

Normally adding the [Deep] tag to the metal will make it unavailable for trade and embark. However as long as you leave the stone files as they are you can still import and embark with it.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:59:30 am »

wont that [deep] tag also make it spawn only around hfs.
like i said in first post im too impatient to build massive defenses to protect against hfs and to create uber epic quality adamantine items for my adventurers to find.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:19:16 am »

wont that [deep] tag also make it spawn only around hfs.
like i said in first post im too impatient to build massive defenses to protect against hfs and to create uber epic quality adamantine items for my adventurers to find.
The stuff that spawns around HFS is stone.  You don't get naturally occuring metal walls.  Native gold is, to the game, just a stone that can be run through the smelter to get a gold bar - the game doesn't see it as gold.  The metal and the stone you get it from aren't recognized by the game as the same thing - they have separate entries.  So no, adding [DEEP] to metals won't make it spawn around HFS.  That only works for stones.  For metals, it makes the metal unavailable to civilizations.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember